Pullet with Neck Injury From Dog- Please help!

CreativeCowgirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Today one of my pullets decided it would be a good idea to fly over the fence into the dog yard. I was not home at the time, so I do not know exactly what happened, but one of my family members informed me that a chicken had flown over the fence but that they had put her back. When I got home and checked up on my chickens, one pullet was by itself in the coop, feathers fluffed slightly and eyes closed. (Fence will be fixed ASAP, and all of their wings clipped.) Upon examining it, I found that it had been bleeding (the bleeding was visible, but clotted already.) from the neck, and had a scratch on its eyelid and over its eye ridge. For now I rinsed the cuts and dabbed peroxide one them, and I have her in a small cage in the house. She drank a little bit when I offered her water, seems to be breathing fine and has pooped. Right now she is just standing there in the cage with her eyes closed. Is there anything else I can do for her? The wound is not very long, but I really don't know how deep it is, and I'm afraid of making it worse if I try to look. I can post pics, but I don't really know if they would help at all. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you on that one. I have had the same trouble except mine was bitten by a fox, then my Jack Russel cross scared it off before it could do any more damage. She did the same as yours; stood still with her eyes closed. The wound is quite deep. She is still in a room in the house, and I the only way I can think to help is to ring the vet, or do some more searching online. Sorry I couldn't help you. I'm in the same situation.

I had the same thing happen to my SLW. A dog got a hold of her and had her by her whole head and neck. Thankfully someone saw and got the dog off. She had a few punctures in her neck and on her legs had some rips in her skin. She was acting the same way so i brought her in and cleaned her up and just kept using peroxide and neosporin and she has since healed and is back to ruling a yard. I hope its the same for your girl.

Back
Top Bottom