Scissor beak help!

grrunble

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Hello! I just wanted to know if anyone has some tips for managing a chicken with scissor beak. I’ve read about it so much but still have a few questions... I’ll attach some pictures of the poor babe.
I’ve seen you can give them a scrambled egg for nutrients, but she has trouble getting it into her mouth. What can I do to help her? I have trimmed her beak and that somewhat helped, but don’t want to cut too much off. Their feeders are PVC pipes with a y so it’s raised and easy for her to scoop. I’ve been giving her some of the feed with a little water and she loves it, but I’m not sure how much she’s actually getting.

She’s definitely bottom of the pecking order, however she’s not bullied at all which surprises me. She is quite attached to one of our light brahmas and huddles under or on her, and the Brahma will clean her and settle wings over. She’s grown on me and I don’t want to fail her, however I will not let her suffer if her quality of life isn’t good. Any tips or suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Attachments

• 9DEF6E1C-6B3B-4055-8665-7FBD9EE71784.jpeg
    9DEF6E1C-6B3B-4055-8665-7FBD9EE71784.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 8CB27EB8-C93A-49C5-B0F3-C58C44342A53.jpeg
    8CB27EB8-C93A-49C5-B0F3-C58C44342A53.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 27
  • AAB65F22-3707-425D-8425-FE09D3920F82.jpeg
    AAB65F22-3707-425D-8425-FE09D3920F82.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 22
@RoostersAreAwesome Thanks for the tag. I've been under the weather so I'm just seeing this now.

@grrunble She is a cutie. With a few considerations for their condition, CBs can, and do, thrive so thank you for doing your best to care for her.

Monitor her weight. Some people do it pre- and post-feedings. I do a weekly weigh-in to see where my guy is at, but he's a clingy house roo so he gets handled daily. Weighing and handling is very help because feathers can give your CB the appearance of being properly filled out.

Feeding is always stressful - for us and them. I see you're feeding a thicker mash, which is great, and I encourage you to feel her crop after she eats. If it feels heavy and full, that means she's getting food. If it's more balloon-like, you'll have some adjustments to make to the mash and the setup. Though, honestly, they have better feeding days than others, so if they're doing well most of the time, you're doing all right.

If you can, try to feed out of a wide and deep dish. Your hen might be able to scoop the food better that way. I see that she still has use of her tongue, which is great and definitely helpful when self-feeding. My roo's tongue collapsed and sits in his throat so he requires a thinner, blended mash.

You can torpedo feed, if you're interested in doing a supplemental feeding. You make a pellet out of the food, freeze it, and then kind of stuff it in her mouth. If that's something you're interested in, I can get you videos. But if she's eating on her own and getting a full crop at least twice a day, I wouldn't do a supplemental feeding.

You can add vitamins, electrolytes, pre- and probiotics, eggs, fruits, veggies, etc, to her mash. You'll probably have to add calcium when she's at laying age. I don't know if she'll be a regular layer - some are, some aren't.

Preening is difficult for CBs. It's great that she has a chicken friend to help, but you might need to lend a hand as well with getting the mash out of her feathers and with breaking up the new feather sheaths. As well as inspecting for bugs, etc.

I covered the three big ones, but I am happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

180191909_867271440494_3599440789791209509_n.jpg
(Hawke after his weekly bath.)

@RoostersAreAwesome Thanks for the tag. I've been under the weather so I'm just seeing this now.

@grrunble She is a cutie. With a few considerations for their condition, CBs can, and do, thrive so thank you for doing your best to care for her.

Monitor her weight. Some people do it pre- and post-feedings. I do a weekly weigh-in to see where my guy is at, but he's a clingy house roo so he gets handled daily. Weighing and handling is very help because feathers can give your CB the appearance of being properly filled out.

Feeding is always stressful - for us and them. I see you're feeding a thicker mash, which is great, and I encourage you to feel her crop after she eats. If it feels heavy and full, that means she's getting food. If it's more balloon-like, you'll have some adjustments to make to the mash and the setup. Though, honestly, they have better feeding days than others, so if they're doing well most of the time, you're doing all right.

If you can, try to feed out of a wide and deep dish. Your hen might be able to scoop the food better that way. I see that she still has use of her tongue, which is great and definitely helpful when self-feeding. My roo's tongue collapsed and sits in his throat so he requires a thinner, blended mash.

You can torpedo feed, if you're interested in doing a supplemental feeding. You make a pellet out of the food, freeze it, and then kind of stuff it in her mouth. If that's something you're interested in, I can get you videos. But if she's eating on her own and getting a full crop at least twice a day, I wouldn't do a supplemental feeding.

You can add vitamins, electrolytes, pre- and probiotics, eggs, fruits, veggies, etc, to her mash. You'll probably have to add calcium when she's at laying age. I don't know if she'll be a regular layer - some are, some aren't.

Preening is difficult for CBs. It's great that she has a chicken friend to help, but you might need to lend a hand as well with getting the mash out of her feathers and with breaking up the new feather sheaths. As well as inspecting for bugs, etc.

I covered the three big ones, but I am happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

View attachment 2739536
:goodpost:

View attachment 2739536
Thank you so much! She’s actually doing really well, from what I can see. We’re feeding her twice a day and she easily finishes the bowl we give her. She’s earned the name Dory, as she will eat, strut around, then see the food again and go right back at it :lol: it feels like she is gaining weight thankfully. I made the mash a little more liquidy and she finally understood the assignment, and now looks forward to it!

I do try to help her as much as I can with preening! At least getting all the mash out for sure. I will probably try to give her a bath soon for whatever bits I cannot get out with a wipe! Thanks for the reply!

Side note, puppy pads have been a lifesaver... lol!

Attachments

• DFA2BBA7-1AF0-4E3D-8D1E-B9A72FB0DEC1.jpeg
    DFA2BBA7-1AF0-4E3D-8D1E-B9A72FB0DEC1.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 25
Thank you so much! She’s actually doing really well, from what I can see. We’re feeding her twice a day and she easily finishes the bowl we give her. She’s earned the name Dory, as she will eat, strut around, then see the food again and go right back at it :lol: it feels like she is gaining weight thankfully. I made the mash a little more liquidy and she finally understood the assignment, and now looks forward to it!

I do try to help her as much as I can with preening! At least getting all the mash out for sure. I will probably try to give her a bath soon for whatever bits I cannot get out with a wipe! Thanks for the reply!

Side note, puppy pads have been a lifesaver... lol!
Thanks for posting your pics! I have a CB 9 week old. I’ve been adding water to her food, but it looks like I should try making it even soupier ... with a puppy pad!

Thanks for posting your pics! I have a CB 9 week old. I’ve been adding water to her food, but it looks like I should try making it even soupier ... with a puppy pad!
The puppy pads are a life saver..! Someone recently told me to start alternating between adding a little yogurt and a little applesauce to help with the consistency. She started finishing her bowls like nothing! I bathe her twice a week but the poor dear always looks wet down her front, still working on that haha. Best of luck to you!

Attachments

• B63AC7B2-FEF2-4D69-8B3F-A1FC9EA8C4E4.jpeg
    B63AC7B2-FEF2-4D69-8B3F-A1FC9EA8C4E4.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 24
The puppy pads are a life saver..! Someone recently told me to start alternating between adding a little yogurt and a little applesauce to help with the consistency. She started finishing her bowls like nothing! I bathe her twice a week but the poor dear always looks wet down her front, still working on that haha. Best of luck to you!
That is a gorgeous picture! I will try yogurt and applesauce mixed in. Do you feed her separately? I can imagine everyone else would like to try that mix as well.

Also, in the absence of a puppy pad at the moment, I started using a section of newspaper (the original puppy pad!). It’s been doing the job quite well.

That is a gorgeous picture! I will try yogurt and applesauce mixed in. Do you feed her separately? I can imagine everyone else would like to try that mix as well.

Also, in the absence of a puppy pad at the moment, I started using a section of newspaper (the original puppy pad!). It’s been doing the job quite well.
Thank you! I do feed her separately or else you get mobbed by a bunch of jealous birds, they all think it’s the best thing ever. Our chickens free range, so we feed her when everyone else is coming out the coop in the mornings and before everyone goes in in the evening. That’s been working pretty well! She definitely will let you know if you’re late!

Was she born like this? Also what is their crop and how do you tell if it is full? I have a chick that was born with crossbeak and I am trying to figure out how to care for it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom