Pullet with sticky saliva in beak, "out of sorts" and not eating/drinking much

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
I noticed this morning that one of my Cherry Egger pullets, Belle, seemed to be "out of sorts". The inside of her beak has sticky saliva and when she tries to drink, she pauses halfway, almost as if it's uncomfortable to lower or extend her neck. She also tends to sit in one place until another hen causes her to move. I examined her and everything looks and feels healthy. I'm going to look down her throat with a flashlight soon to see if there's anything stuck there.
Yesterday she acted fine, except for breathing with her beak open for about 30 seconds. After that, I didn't notice her doing it anymore.
Any ideas on what this could be?

Last edited:
Looked down her throat with a flashlight and all I saw was bits of feed pellets and tiny pieces of straw. I attempted to give her water through a syringe, but it all it really seemed to do was make her salivate more.

As of now, she is in a large dog crate and isn't really doing much. When I dip her beak in the waterer, more saliva comes running out.
Her breath also stinks; her crop is about empty though.

Last edited:
About an hour ago, Belle started to eat pellets and drank water (a considerable amount, since she had shown in interest in it earlier; thankfully she didn't throw any of it up). She looked like she was perking up slightly, though she still is producing a fair amount of saliva, mostly when she drinks.
Her crop was almost completely empty this morning, so I don't think it's sour crop.

Another thing I've noticed with Belle is that she seems to have trouble swallowing food, such as part of a cooked egg yolk this morning.
She doesn't appear to be much different this morning; I let her outside and she walks around, but prefers to stand in one spot.

Last edited:
I started Belle on antibiotics yesterday; not sure if they will do anything, since I have no idea what is wrong with her. She doesn't want to eat or drink much (except for the evenings, when she tends to drink more).

Try some feed-mush. Mine love it.
There had been 2 of my chickens that have responded to antibiotics. I had no idea what they had, I ran out of things to try, and both got better from whatever it was.

Back
Top Bottom