Pullet with Stiff leg-please help-Marek's??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IroquoisEgg, Oct 25, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Hello all,

I have a 12 week old, or so, White EE pullet that has what appears to be a stiff leg. It started Friday and she gets around fine, eating/drinking but all of a sudden her leg started acting weird. I also noticed it sort of gives out at the knee, and when she walks that leg pulls up a little higher than the other and takes a longer step too. It looks similar to when a person has one leg that is shorter than the other. All others in flock are doing just fine. Is this what the beginning stage of Marek's looks like?

2. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    please help-anyone??

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Are you sure she just didnt hurt her self? When mine got Mareks they did the splits with one leg forward or backwards and they act drunk almost. Maybe she just jumped wrong or vitamins might be needed? Good luck and make sure you seperate her.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I'm praying that she just hurt herself. I have her seperated with feed, water with ACV and vitamins sprinkled on the feed. I also gave her some liquid vitamins this a.m. She's resting now. I tried to put a "cast" on her leg but she couldn't navigate at all!! Please tell me how long from 1st symptoms of Marek's showed up until you realized it was Mareks. What were the progression of signs? Did she do the splits right away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by