Pullet with swollen eye and bubbles- pics too- need advice

Aug 10, 2020
Northern MN
Hello
We got 7 chicks this summer and all has been well until now. They are almost 10 weeks old.
Last night we noticed our Olive Egger’s eye was swollen and it looked liked there were bubbles in her eye. We are new to raising chickens and unsure what to do.
I keep reading that bubbles means Mycoplasma gallisepticum. We separated her from the others as soon as we noticed it. I’ve been searching all day and went to our local feed store but can’t find an meds for chickens. Early this morning her eye was completely swollen shut. Then the swelling around her eye seemed to be gone. But now it it coming back. We have been bringing water to her all day to keep her hydrated. Sometimes she eats and drinks in her own. Occasionally she’s up but mostly lying down. But she isn’t used to being indoors all day. She doesn’t seem to have a cough or runny nose. Are there other possibilities that it could be? Can I order medicine online without a prescription? Do we need to put her down? I feel so terrible for her. And I’m worried about the rest of our chicks. We’ve grown so fond of them. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Did you get the chicks from a breeder, a feed store, a hatchery, or hatch them? Have you added other birds? Since she has signs of MG, the others probably have also been exposed somewhere along the line. I would try to get Tylosin for pigeons online from Jedds.com or elsewhere, and put it in her water. If she doesn’t drink well, give her some with a dropper. Your vet may prescribe something that also treats MG. Testing can confirm MG.

Aug 10, 2020
Northern MN
Did you get the chicks from a breeder, a feed store, a hatchery, or hatch them? Have you added other birds? Since she has signs of MG, the others probably have also been exposed somewhere along the line. I would try to get Tylosin for pigeons online from Jedds.com or elsewhere, and put it in her water. If she doesn’t drink well, give her some with a dropper. Your vet may prescribe something that also treats MG. Testing can confirm MG.
We got them all from a hatchery in the mail as chicks. No other birds have been introduced.
I read that article today. It seems like such an awful disease. The chickens do roam the yard all day. Idk it could be from mice or wild birds. Maybe that’s the risk of letting them roam?
Thank you for being specific! I’m so new to this. I asked all my friends who have had chickens for years and nobody has dealt with it. I haven’t found vets who treat chickens yet either. Thank you!

Top Bottom