Pullet with swollen face, lethargy and weight loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jarsheart, May 17, 2019.

1. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I just noticed today my 4 month old pullet had a swollen face with eyes shut. Tail pointed down and lethargic. I took her out of the coop and noticed she is quite thin. I haven't noticed any other symptoms. I gave her some nutridrench and VetRx. She is now in a box in my guest bedroom. I don't know what this is, or what else I can do to treat her. I need some advice.

Thanks,

Michelle

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What state or country are you in? Are you seeing any respiratory symptoms such as sneeze or cough, watery or bubbly eyes, labored breathing, or rattly, wheezy breathing? Is there nasal drainage or a bad odor?

Is there a possibility of a tick bite or sting, or any marks? If she cannot see, I would offer her some watery chicken feed with a little egg several times a day by holding a small bowl up to her beak to guide her.

If it is determined that she has a respiratory disease, an antibiotic may be needed. For a sting or tick bite, I would offer 1/2 Benadryl 25 mg tablet given once.

3. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I'm in South Florida. She's able to see, and she was eating earlier today in her box. No discharge, coughing or sneezing. I'll check for ticks.

Sequel likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There have been a number of bee stings and tick bites which can cause a lot of swelling in the head, comb, face, and wattles. Can you post a picture of the swelling? If she does not seem congested or have bubbles in her eye, I would try the 1/2 benadryl. You can give it orally or crushed in some cooked egg.

Kris5902 and Sequel like this.
  5. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    IMG_20190518_095221690.jpg IMG_20190518_095221690.jpg

6. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
  7. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she lethargic and not moving around? Does she eat and drink if you offer it? Respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) can be a cause of swelling of the face or around an eye. Do you want to try antibiotics for treating this in case of MG? Some do and some don’t, but one available in most feed stores is injectable Tylan 50 in the cattle medicines. Syringes and needles will be required to remove the medicine feom the vial. I would give it orally a few drops at a time or mix in a small amount of egg that you know she will take. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight—1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen. Give it 3 times a day for 3 to 5 days. If you have a vet who would prescribe Tylan Powder for the water or a tetracycline drug, that would treat it as well. If she was pecked around the eye, it might heal on it’s own. Antibiotic ointment applied twice a day might help either way. This is what to look for:
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...GiWV66CxKNJxCHpVlhvbGRD97GAnPqpYaAglBEALw_wcB

9. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I tried several local feed stores, including Tractor Supply, and none had tylan. I found some on Amazon, and will get it on Monday. Earliest vet appointment is Tuesday.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that she is continuing to drink enough fluids. When I have a sick one, I mix up chicken crumbles or pellets with a lot of water, and offer cooked egg or tuna, also with a little water dribbled on. I wish someone near you had some meds to share with you. Human doxycycline, cipro, or tetracycline will also work.

Kris5902 and Jarsheart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: