Pullet with the left side of her face swollen, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sergio R, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Sergio R

Sergio R Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    So i have 2 pullets that started showing similar symptoms at 1 day apart, Wednesday morning I noticed my cooko maran pullet had some swollen face under her right eye, and noticed when I touched it it seemed like it hurt her and there was some discharge through her nose, so I separated her from her other 5 sisters and started treating her with some VetRx and within 24 hours she was back to normal with no swelling.
    But the nex morning my white leghorn started showing the same symptoms so I repeated the treatment but this time VetRx did not make any difference and by the second day she couldn't even open her eye from how swollen her face is, she also has some nasal discharge.
    I've been researching like crazy and it scares me to think it might be coryza. And if it is i would have to kull both known sick birds before my other 20 hens get sick (15 adults in a completely different coop and run)
    I have yet to see them sneeze and there's no foul smell either
    What do you guys think it might be?? Could it be they ate a bad spider or got mosquito bites or wasp stings
    Also the cooko maran started limping the same day she showed her symptoms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like they have a respiratory illness. There are several like Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, etc.
    Separate them out and clean /flush their eyes with saline, then apply some ointment like Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eyes. You can try treating with Tylan50 or Oxytetracycline. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. It depends on the brand of Oxy that you purchase so follow the package directions on that.

Coryza the chicken would smell terribly. So if you detect no odors, then it's most like not Coryza.

All respiratory illnesses are contagious. Infected birds will remain carriers after they recover and show no symptoms. Birds exposed to the sick birds are generally considered carriers as well, even if they never become ill or show symptoms.

Let us know how they are doing.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  3. Sergio R

Sep 12, 2015
    I did separated them and have not seen any of the symptoms on the rest of the pullets,
    The cooko maran is almost back to normal but still limping some. I was gonna try to look for some Tylan at the Tractor supply store, what is the difference between Tylan 50 and Tylan 200?
    Thanks in advance

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Difference would be concentration of medication. Tylan200 you would administer a smaller dosage.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-50-injection.html
    https://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-200-injection.html

5. Sergio R

Sep 12, 2015
    I just bought some Tylan Today, hopefully i see some improvements soon.
    If one of the pullets is laying is it ok to eat the eggs while on Tylan?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Tylan has a 1day egg withdrawal, so throw away eggs during treatment and then 1day afterwards.

7. Sergio R

Sep 12, 2015

Do i use Tylan every day until the pullets are completely back to Normal or should I wait a few days before repeating the dosage?

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You would treat for 5days.

9. Sergio R

Sep 12, 2015
    Thanks for all the help :)

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015