Pullet with weird mass under leg???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucky KY Chicks, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    I have a pullet with a spongey mass along her breast plate on one side. The majority of it is under her leg. It feels like it has air pockets. I can grab pieces of it and it moves around. What is this? Other hens do not have it and she only has it on one side. She is almost at POL.

2. Lucky KY Chicks

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    At this point I believe it is her intestines hanging out of her cavity but under her skin. I can feel the mass and it's like a tube with stuff in it all bunched up. She is a cull anyway due to improper color so I will just go ahead and process her.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Lucky KY Chicks

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Culled the hen. It was indeed her intestines outside of her body cavity under her skin. She has a hole (rounded not torn) in her abdominal muscle towards the top of the plain of muscle that runs from the rib cage to the pelvis and vent. Not sure if it is a healed injury or a birth defect. Either way it would have cause a lot of trouble when it came time for her to lay an egg. The hole in the muscle was only a half inch across.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by