Pullet with white in corner of one eye...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kit carson, Nov 3, 2014.

1. kit carson

kit carson Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    My 11 week old pullet has a white triangle in the front corner of one eye, and can apparently only see out of the other eye. Could this be wormeye? What should I do? I live in central Mexico, so not all U.S.medicines are available here, but I can probably get them online. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. kit carson

May 22, 2014
    Thank you. I read the article about the membrane, and the problem is in that area. It looks opaque white though, and I know she isn't seeing out of that side. It just started today. I noticed because she keeps losing track of her siblings and mom, and was peeping in distress. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow. I saw a video on wormeye, where they squeeze a white parasite out of the corner of the eye. Totally gross. My chickens are free range, so I suppose there's the possibility of injury as well.

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Does the white stuff look like frothy foamy stuff kind ofd like rabies of the eye? Because mine had that for years!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That eyeworm video is kind of misleading, I think. Eyeworm is actually seen in the eye as a 1/8 inch long worm, while some of the videos on youtube look more like puss-filled eyes of MG or coryza. Eyeworm could very well be a problem in your area since they are common in tropical areas, but respiratory diseases can resemble them. Eyeworm is treated by medicating the chicken with albendazole (Valbazen) 1 ml given orally for 3 straight days, then repeating in 10 days, as well as placing Valbazen diluted with 50% water or saline, instilled into the eye. Here is some info on respiratory diseases such as MG and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Eye worm in chickens

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. kit carson

May 22, 2014
    Does the white stuff look like frothy foamy stuff kind ofd like rabies of the eye? Because mine had that for years![/quote

Yes! I just bought her in the house for a closer inspection. Both eyes have white foam like suds from a little dish detergent in the inside corner, but she can see. Her head has dry bumps that resemble pox that I've seen in photos. Her feet were cold, but she seems otherwise normal. She is breathing normally and not lethargic. I raised her eyes with saline drops, and put a little antibiotic cream on the bumps.

Yesterday I noticed my big roo Pierre has red on his feet!

I live in central Mexico, so getting some of the drugs may be difficult.

Thanks for any and all help.

7. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    If she has bubbly eyes, it is a respiratory infection and she needs antibiotics. Do you know what kinds are available there?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has pox, it could be that the eye is infected from that. Sounds like you are treating that fine. Watch for any swelling around the eye.

9. kit carson

May 22, 2014
    I have just learned about a vet that does chickens about an hour away. I will try to get his number and call him to see what antibiotics and other medications are available here. So you think she has pox and a respiratory infection? Thanks for responding, Kit

10. kit carson

May 22, 2014
    I forgot to mention that she does have bumps right around the eyes. When I put the iodine on them, I'm afraid some got into her eye, because she was struggling and very upset. I was using a cotton ball. I can't imagine how those bumps/scabs could be peeled off. There are two more young ones, male and female, now showing bumps and black marks. Also, the first pullet had some white sprinkles on her head and back of neck, which I also saw in the photos. What could that be? Thanks again, Kit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by