Pullet won't come out from under the car

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miomama, Aug 8, 2011.

1. miomama

miomama New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    I am 2 months new to keeping chickens. I have 2 pullets and 1 rooster. The pullets are around 16 weeks old ( i don't really know exactly because I bought them in a street market here in Mexico). Neither of the pullets have started laying yet. Anyways, the Barred Rock was out and about all day hanging with the other 2. However, when I came home this evening around 7:00pm and went to feed them, she didn't come when I called them. The other two came running as usual. I searched around and found her still sitting under the car. The birds free range all day on my property and they like to hang out under my car when they're not wondering around the garden feeding.

This has never happened before. Is she getting ready to lay? I put food in front of her just beside the car and she still wouldn't move from her spot. She was cooing a little when I talked to her but wouldn't move. She has not given me any of the other signals I've read about here (like squatting). I hope she doesn't decide to lay her eggs under the car.

Thanks for any insight!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Are you sure she might not be sick? She might not be coming out because she's weak........ or overheated perhaps?

3. miomama

miomama New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    I don't think she is sick. She's very alert when I look at her. She'll look around and at me when I talk to her. She's just sitting there not wanting to come out. And its not hot here at this time of the year where I live so definitely not over heated.

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Have you seen any hawks around? My girls are 16 weeks old. When they see a crow they run for cover or freeze if they are near cover. I wonder if she might have had a scare?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by