Pullet won't eat

Angelbells

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
Ok I have a question........I have a girl that is not wanting to eat or drink much she just sits on the roost all fluffed up.......any ideas what might be wrong with her? I have felt her crop and there is very little in it. Her droppings look fine. I have tried to coax her to eat but takes a couple tastes and ignores it. She is 7 mo old, has not started to lay yet and does not appear egg bound. She feels much lighter, she has been like this about 3 days now.......I have now taken her out of the coop and have her in a very large storage container to watch her closer.

She does not have any other symptoms ........just sits all fluffed up and will not eat and drinks very little.... she feels much lighter when picked up. Her last dropping was loose but not bloody just a little watery.

Last edited:
It may be coccidiosis. Poo does not have to have blood in it. That would be the most common thing. At the top, fill in the information that it asks for, at least we'll know more about her.

Try wetting the food a bit. Maybe that should help
idunno.gif

Tried wetting the food, tried to give her anything that she normally loves... she just tastes itbut that is all.

This is a tough one. I wish I had some other suggestions for you. Even if she were injured she would still have an appetite. I'm stumped but will be watching this thread for other suggestions.

I am heading to the feed store for vit & elecrolite to add to water to see if that give her a boost..........if I was to get some antibotics what would you suggest? Other then her not eatting, loosing weight (because not eating) and just sitting fluffed up I see nothing else wrong. This is so strange.

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest any antibiotics at this time. You don't want to create additional problems where they do not currently exist, so until you're sure a chicken requires them, I wouldn't administer antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom