Pullet yeast infection in the mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bama_chic42, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bama_chic42

bama_chic42 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West Blocton Alabama
    I have a 7 month old pullet with a white /yellowish build up in the mouth foul smelling
    gasps for air sounds congested still eating drinking a little. She's in the house now
    keeping her warm feeding her yogurt in with starter grower . She sneezing/coughing
    when eating drinking. Anything else I can do for her? Vets not open till Monday.
    Can anyone help? Thanks Brenda

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be canker, a nasty disease. If you choose to treat it (and some would cull since it's a carrier disease), you'll need an antifungal med of some kind, I think. Could also be Coryza, but usually, the canker is what makes the growths inside the mouth and throat.

Trichomoniasis, Canker, Frounce

Extracted From:

A Pocket Guide to
    Poultry Health
    and
    Disease

By Paul McMullin
    [​IMG] 2004
    Introduction
    Trichomonas gallinae is a protozoan parasite of pigeons and doves (canker), raptors (frounce), turkeys and chickens. It has variable pathogenicity. Morbidity is high and mortality varies but may be high. Transmission is via oral secretions in feed and water, and crop milk.

Signs

Mouth open.
    Drooling and repeated swallowing movements.
    Loss of conditon.
    Watery eyes in some birds.
    Nervous symptoms (rare).
    Post-mortem lesions

Yellow plaques and raised cheesy masses in mouth, pharynx, oesophagus, crop and proventriculus. Raptors may have liver lesions.
    Diagnosis
    Lesions, large numbers of protozoa in secretions. Differentiate from Pox and candidiasis.

Treatment
    Previously approved products included dimetridazole, nithiazide, and enheptin. Organic arsenical compounds (where approved) and some herbal products may be of some benefit in managing this problem in food animals.

Prevention
    Eliminate stagnant water, eliminate known carriers, add no new birds.​

3. bama_chic42

bama_chic42 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West Blocton Alabama
    Thanks Speckled Hen

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by