Pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by galliformom, Dec 26, 2016.

1. galliformom

galliformom New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    Hey all, posted a while back but now that theyre older it might be clearer. They are both about 9 weeks old. Im hoping the white one is a pullet but Im not sure. The red one has a larger comb and starting to get green iridecent feathers in his tail so Im pretty sure he's a he. Im thinking they are rhode island reds and a leghorn but if anyone can verify sex that would be awesome!

The presumed male

[​IMG]

The (maybe) female

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Crofts

Crofts Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    UK
    I'm not massively experienced, but looking back at photos of my girls at about the same age it appears that they have much less defined/paler combs and wattles than both of yours. Might you actually have two roosters there?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    This much comb at 9 weeks its not looking good for pullets. Keeping fingers crossed for ya but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Not a Rhode Red, maybe a New Hamp Red or Production Red. Other could be a Leghorn but the body is a little chunky, I'm thinking maybe a White Rock.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both boys.

1 person likes this.
  5. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

At 9 weeks of age, a pullet would have a small little pale comb, and it wont go red until the point of lay.

[​IMG]

Heres one of my little guys, a few weeks or so older than your white one. Hes just started crowing a few days ago....even the slightest bit of red indicates a male. Unless you have a hen at point of lay....So im 99% sure you have two young cockerels on your hand.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    both cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by