1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thumper76, Sep 25, 2012.

1. thumper76

thumper76 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    W. WA, land of the wet.
    I am not sure of her (his?) age. Was supposed to be a pullet and I got her with two sexlinks and the americauna. I was told it was a barred rock x americauna. Sorry the pics weren't the best as I was leaning into the coop to get them. She is getting somewhat long tail feathers and I didn't know if that might be normal for a pullet of this cross or if I am looking at a future roo. I just started getting some green eggs about a week ago and I assumed it was the yellow americauna/EE but could it be from this one? The comb seems redder and larger than the yellow hen.
    thx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you do indeed have a pullet. If she were a boy, her comb would be larger by now, and shaped just a little different too. I had a BR roo. I still have a BR hen, and I'm pretty sure you have a girl.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Your Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger. The barred bird in question had a barred father and an EE mama. The blue/green egg gene is tied to the pea comb. It is unlikely the barred bird gave you the blue/green egg. It came from the EE. Your barred bird in question is a pullet at POL (point of lay). When a pullet is ready to start laying eggs, her hormone levels increase causing her comb and wattles to get bigger and redder and her face will turn bright red as well. It could still be a month or more before you see an egg from her, but I would expect a light brown one.

4. thumper76

Jan 29, 2012
    W. WA, land of the wet.
    Thank you for putting up with another boy or girl post. I'm pleased that she seems to be a she! My concern was mostly the long loose tail feathers she has but maybe that is just the way she is, they are quite pretty. And yes, I should have said EE, rather than americauna, it isn't a big deal to me but it might offend others that I called her the wrong name. Thank you for the responses!

5. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

a good way to tell is when they start getting the saddle feathers and theres none on her so its a pullet but keep this in mind next try to sex it your self and then let us know then we will correct it if its wrong but i like seeing these things but at this age it would most likely have saddle feathers .. she is a pretty bird .. i have an ee never had them before but im just waiting for my blue eggs lol mine looks just like yours but darker brown idk why she hasn't started laying she is like 6-7 months old but it can take up to like 8 months or more

6. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Most chickens can be sexed by eight weeks, if not earlier. At 20 weeks+ there'd be no doubt about the gender of a cockerel- he'd be acting in a very unladylike way to the rest of the flock and crowing his little head off. ;) So congratulations! You have a very pretty bunch of ladies.

7. thumper76

Jan 29, 2012
    W. WA, land of the wet.
    So this ended up being a Roo, albeit a very pretty one. Fortunately we found a home for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by