Pullets (7months) mounting/squishing younger pullets (2 1/2 months)??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pixie74943, Nov 1, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Not sure if this is in the right place, but two of my hens (Leghorn and Australorp) have been mounting, and squishing my little ISA Brown.

I havent seen it but my parents have.. apparently Ginger (ISA) ran near the other do, stopped and did that funny chicken squat, then Eve (Leghorn) jumped on top of her and squatted, and Lily (Australorp) was about to jump on top of them.

WHY??? What could possess them to do that?? And how likely are they to hurt/squish her??

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

This is dominance, and while normal, can result in one or two hens ganging up on another. Whilr injuries are not terribly common, your Ginger is probably the smallest? Be sure she has places she can go for enough feed and to escape the bullies. In a larger flock this is not so serious, but with small numbers she could be targeted a lot. Does it happen often?

3. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I've never seen it happen, Mum/Dad say its happened twice. The birds have managed to peck a naked spot into her wing, and the girls are seperated now, but living side by side. Probably stay that way until Ginger gets bigger. Although ther are getting less pushy, they've never sat on her before this [​IMG]

Perhaps I could use this as my excuse to buy Ginger a friend :p

4. LynneP

They get that way as they approach point of lay and their hormones start surging...[​IMG]

5. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:Actually the 2 older girls have been laying forover 3 months.. the youngen just started laying this week...

6. LynneP

Seems they're recognizing her as an adult and putting her in her place...Oh my

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by