Pullets acting a little crazy

clemson11

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
UT
My two RIR pullets, (about 20 weeks). I have been letting them out every night an hour or two before sunset to just be chinkens I guess, and for the laughs. Then the other night I put them in and they went nuts, clucking and making all sorts of noise. They were trying to get through the fencing and everything. What the heck? Now when I go out at dusk (I have not let them out in the last few days), they are neurotic walking back and forth along the fence when they see me. Any idea why they are acting so weird?

Maybe make sure there's nothing in there scaring them, like a rat or something... I'd be jumping around if there was a rat in my house.
big_smile.png

Mine do this when I go anywhere near the house door...they can hear me coming! Yes, from the inside. Letting them out and giving them treats will do this. They've learned to associate you with really good things.

Last edited:
i just let mine out into their run and they tried to do the same thing LOL BUT when i went in there with them they were fine and started scratching around and being chickens. I think they feel TOO free compared to their coop they were just in for the past several days.
lau.gif

I'm also thinking there's something in the coop- snake rat, squirrel...something...and remember how poor their night vision is, be sure to get them in before dark so they can see well as they enter. Time for a full inspection.

When I go out every morning to let mine out, I have to get out of the WAY! They hear me coming and get right in front of the door. They come barreling out that house like their tail feathers are on fire! If I have to put them up before dark, it takes me, my dh and my teenage son because they will not go in. They are fine once they get in, but they like to be OUTSIDE! They look at me like a group of mutinous sailors if I have to put them up early. I think this is all normal for chickens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom