1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets and Adults?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by theguy67, Dec 23, 2010.

1. theguy67

theguy67 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    After my chicks are raised and half-way grown can I put them in the pen with all my hens and the rooster? or should they move up to a larger cage for themselves?I have a smallish chicken coop right now, its 6x12( im estimating). Eventually once i get a dozen hens or more I want to keep them as yard birds. It would make it alot easier if I did not need a third cage for transitions from pullet to adult but I can manage if needed.

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I say that 6x12 is plenty of room and you'll be okay. But you should wait to move them in with the adults to assure safety. And by the way, yard birds is not a good idea... at all.

3. theguy67

theguy67 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    Yard Birds/Free Range? I've heard many people keep them like that. Only issue is preditors.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    free range is fine all my lg birds free range
    BUT if they are small they are more prone to predator attacks.
    I dont free range till they are about adult size unless they have a broody with them

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    In my opinion, the longer you keep your pullets separated from your flock, the harder the integration will be. I have raised several clutches of new chicks, most raised by mother hen. The hens will introduce the chicks to the flock between 3 and six weeks. Although she will protect them for a time, they usually abandon them when they start laying the next clutch. I have never had a problem with any chicks killed or injured from other hens especially the roosters (I have 6 roos) One observation of note, while mother hen is raising her chicks, she does not appreciate other hens coming to call. The roosters though are never discouraged from checking on the chicks. I believe that this is important so the alpha roo knows these chicks are part of his flock. Just my belief.

I have experienced that clutches will often form sub-flocks until they are nearly grown, especially if there is a cockerel among them. The siblings will hang together, away from the older birds, during the day but will return to the coop to roost. I have even had some clutches, with dominant cockerels, that established a separate roosting area. I discourage the separate roosting area to avoid future fighting and to keep maintenance to a minimum.

My birds are free ranging.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Ours free-range from the time they're old enough to leave the brooder. I've got a batch of 6 week olds that will be joining the adults on "the yard" today, as a matter of fact. They do just fine.

I also have noted sub-flocks within the main flock here as well. They all roost in the same coop at night, but the youngsters go about their daily business together, separate from the main adult flock until they hit sexual maturity and then fully integrate themselves from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by