Pullets are 22 weeks old not laying yet?

OB OBrien

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Near Pensacola, Fl
My Pullets are 22 weeks old and not laying yet? They are free range and I have checked real close and there are no nests under the bushes. In the coop, where they eat, water and roost, are 8 nest boxes.

Should I lock em up and stop the free range and put in some false eggs till they get the idea and start laying. Or am I just jumping the gun and need to wait a little while longer?

Thanks for all your expert advice.
OB

What breed(s)? Combs/wattles? Besides free range what are they getting to eat & how much (free choice or?) etc.

I've 19 hens at 21 weeks. Two of the Orpingtons and two of the Barred Rocks have started laying but the rest are still biding their time. The rest of the flock is Orpingtons, BRs, EEs, Wyandottes, and Brahmas. Waiting for the winter solstice perhaps!

Oh and x2 on the fake eggs!

at 21 weeks. Two of the Orpingtons and two of the Barred Rocks have started laying
Yea, My Barred Rocks are 17 weeks. 23 weeks is the youngest that I've read this past week of Barred Rocks laying, till now. I'm glad to see 2 of yours have started, by 21 weeks. Gives me hope that mine could start mid January.
Last week one of the nests was made into a bowl shape. I added some Ceramic eggs. 20181213_091210.jpg .
I also hung a pail with Oyster Shells. They went Nuts for it. But that has past. 20181213_100029.jpg .
They are on a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18%. GC

Back
Top Bottom