Pullets attacked and won't go back in the coop. Help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickiemom25, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    One of my girls was attacked about 5 weeks ago. Lost alot of feathers and down but I cleaned her up, treated her and she has been back to laying for a while now. Then last night, something ( opossum most likely) got in the coop, took Snowball who was a Plymouth Rock and NOT tiny, and gutted her. We are so sad. I have been gathering up the first one who was attacked each night and putting her back in the coop. Now neither she or my Americana will go into the coop. They seem to feel safe in the big dog crate so I locked them in there last night. I need to put door on the coop. These are the first problems we have had in a year.

My daughter wants to catch the opossum and watch it die she is so mad at it, I really resent having to pay $100 to move a predator but I heard it is illegal to kill them. So my 2 questions are; what to do with the murderer and how do I get my girls to like their coop again so I don't have to play hide and go seek at sundown.

2. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Well the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago thankfully, It was midnight, but I was outside, and heard the chickens going crazy so I went to check on them. They were all over the yard so I picked them up, and put them back up in the coop. I then went to check for eggs, and sitting their was the BIGGEST possum I've ever seen! so we shot him and threw him in the woods, but for a whole week, our roo wouldn't go in the coop, he would roost right outside the coop. After a week of just putting him back in the coop he would go on his room. (there was possum blood in the coop and it helped when we completely cleaned out the coop I suggest you do this....) If you put a door on the coop, with just a simple latch on it, it should be fine as long as you remember to latch it each night..... If this doesn't work, put a humane trap by the chicken coop with chicken liver in it, and when you catch the possum just drive 30 or 40 miles and just dump him of the side of the highway....

Hope this helps
    -Caleb

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you put the culprit in a drop box at the animal control center?

4. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Just talked to animal control. They say it is illegal to trap and relocate or kill wildlife. I have to LIVE with theses vermin....

5. Lobzi

OK, well I SAY it is my responsibility to keep my pets safe. If they are threatened then I must deal with it. Just trap and dispose, that would be my advice.

6. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    what is that saying about a gun and a shovel? I can't remember it exactly... funny tho lol

7. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    SSS.....Shoot Shovel & Shut up!

8. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    SSS Shoot Shovel Shut up!!!! just saying, when it comes to protecting your live stock.

9. Lobzi

Here HERE!!! I second or third that!

10. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    yeah thats it! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by