Pullet's beak won't stop breaking!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheBlessedCoop, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TheBlessedCoop

TheBlessedCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Texas
    Hi there! I'm new to joining BYC but have used it for guidance for forever[​IMG] When my pullet was about four weeks old she broke her bottom beak. [​IMG] It healed up nicely but the top part continued to grow. Now she is four months. The top beak had gotten to the point to where it was cracking and chipping, so I thought it was the best bet to cut the end off so it wouldn't get any worse. It has been four days since I cut it and she is acting normal. There is another small chip in it already though. I don't want it to get any worse because there is hardly anything left to cut. I would love some insight from anyone who has experienced something similar to this. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to help her or should I just leave her be!! [​IMG]Thank you in advance

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

This happens from a vitamin D deficiency, most likely genetic in origin. I had a chick that broke and chipped her beak several times too. Once so badly, the upper beak was over half gone. I found the only way to keep her beak from breaking was to dampen the chick feed so she stopped pecking at it. The feeders themselves are hard, so I switched to rubber tubs as they were softer. Both of these seemed to solve the problem. As the bird aged into a pullet and then a hen, she never had any further issues. Her beak is rock hard now.

Good luck with your girl, she is adorable! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. TheBlessedCoop

Jan 26, 2016
    Texas
    Thank you so much! Do you think if I wet her food and switch her to rubber tubs it will grow back even though she is older? She is free range also and loves to wipe her face on stumps and anything hard. Do you think that could play a role and if so should I pen her up until her beak stops chipping? I am sorry to ask you so many questions but you seem very knowledgeable!![​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It seemed to me that my bird was pecking to hard at things and causing breakage to her already weak beak. You would have to watch your bird for a day to be completely sure what she is doing to cause the chipping. They use all kinds of objects as a napkin and whiping their beaks. I doubt the beak cleaning is causing damage.

Vitamin D helps to absorb calcium which helps to strengthen bones, claws, beaks, egg shells etc... Many birds that have weak beaks can have rickets as well. For some reason, your bird may not be absorbing enough calcium due to Vitamin D deficiencies or other vitamin imbalances.

If she were my bird, you might add some poultry vitamins to the water a few times a week. This might help balance vitamin and mineral deficencies. Also, feed her some plain yogurt every other day. Not only does it contain good probiotics for good gut health and immune system boost, but the extra calcium will help to strengthen her beak. She may have other internal issues you are unaware of with deficiencies.

Once she gets closer to laying, you can even add human calcium to her diet. (Pullets cant process huge amounts of calcium yet). I use Caltrate on hens that have issues with calcium absorption and egg shell issues. 1/2 tab a day, pieces broken and put in raisins...they have no idea they are being medicated.

And change how you feed her. I use those small black rubber tubs. They are softer than hard plastic. You can dampen the feed to. Chickens LOVE wet feed. I have completely ruined my birds...they refuse to eat dry feed and WAIT for me to dampen their feed each day. :lol: Only dampen what they will eat in one day.

Enjoy your babies!! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would also like to add that beaks and claws continue to grow all throughout the life of the bird. Scratching in the dirt keeps claws at a good length and picking and beak whiping keeps beaks trimmed and cleaned. Some birds however, will occasionally need their claws trimmed and older birds may need to have their upper beaks filed down if they get too long.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

TwoCrows has done an excellent job in providing you a lot of information so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please take heed of 2 Crows advice not only did she provide suggestions but, she has the advantage of living through the experience with her own bird.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. TwoCrows is awesome on the advice. Good luck with your girl.

9. TheBlessedCoop

Jan 26, 2016
    Texas
    Thank y'all so much!!! Y'all are too kind. I'm taking TwoCrows advice and hope to post pictures when Sage is healed up!![​IMG] (Sage is my pullet's name by the way)[​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by