Pullets bloody head!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iluvpeeps, Dec 17, 2012.

1. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    My Pullet got stuck behind the coop today when I was at school. While she was stuck there thye other chickens pecked at her head! When I got home the first thing I did was check on my chickens and I found her with her head bleeding and another pullet pecking at her head. I was picked all the ways down to her skull but they didn't peck through the skull. I grtabbed her and fixed the coop so they couldn't get stuck like that anymore. So, I took her inside, clean her head, and put triple antibiotic on it. I'm keeping her in the brooder in my room. Is there anything else I should do? Does anybody know if she will be ok? I will post pictures if I can. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I am so sorry to hear about your pullet. You can use betadine solution to cleanse the area if you can do it without getting it in her eyes. Then use antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. Just put a blob on your finger and slather it on. Be prepared to separate her from the rest long term. Bring her inside and put her in a pet carrier or something similar. Give her some soft food and extra protein. Good luck and hopefully someone else will pipe in with more advice. I hope she heals quickly.

3. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Thanks, should I just keep her in until the skin grows back or longer?

4. lovinchicks

lovinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    I had this happen when my pullet jumped the fence and got in with the roos. She had about a quarter size of skull showing. I kept her seperated for probably two weeks. I never cleaned it, cause I figured that would just hurt. I just sprayed Vetericyn on it in the morning and at night. I only did that for about a week, as it was a Exchequer Leghorn and she was very flighty. After 2 weeks we let her out with everyone and she was fine, But they were in a VERY large area, and she could roost up away from everyone. If yours is in a small area then it will be more likely that someone will pick at it. You'll just have to watch when you put her back in there. It took a long time to heel up, but the skin did finally cover the hole. She just didn't have feathers in a small area.

5. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    i would say I have smallish area but maybe I can wrap the injury with something? Oh and its about the size of a half dollar.

6. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    This happened to a Buff Orpington I had, and a pullet I had. I just cleaned their heads out with some cream stuff ( I can't think of the name right now ) and I had them seperated for awhile. When the feathers grew back on their heads I put them back with the other chickens..

7. Autumn D

Autumn D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I once had a chicken that the skin on the top of her head was torn right off by the other chickens, we keep her away from the others and put medicine on it, it took months but now all she has it a small bald spot on her head.

8. lovinchicks

lovinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    It probably won't stay wrapped unless you use tape. I've tried before on a duck and it's hard to get it to stay in place as it just slides on the feathers. Mine was fine being unwrapped.

9. chrys64moore

chrys64moore Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    We have this problem with a Polish hen---when we got her, her head was almost completely featherless and bloody. I cleaned it up and put Neosporin on the area, separated her and two others from the aggressive birds, and everything seemed fine until about two days ago. Now suddenly the two others have started picking at her head and neck, and we had to separate her from them also. We are trying the Rooster Booster no-peck stuff---we put it on tonight, so we'll see if it helps tomorrow. We also discovered what we think are fowl head lice on her, so maybe that has something to do with it. Hope your bird is better, it's so scary when they are badly hurt.

10. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to buy some of the products you guys suggested. I'm also letting her out into the backyard away from the other chickens everyday I get home and it's not dark. I did that today and she really liked it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by