Apr 18, 2011
Kissimmee
I recently got two Barred Rock Pullets to turn my flock of One
D.gif
into a flock of three.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

The pullets are in "new bird quarantine" and have been in my care for about 9 days so far. Everything seems great with these girls. Eating like champs very active and loud. Not sure their exact age but they are fully feathered and one seems to be getting her 'big girl' voice half peeping and half clucking... while the other one still peeps like a baby chick.

P1040160.jpg

This morning I noticed this is the box where they spend the night..

P1040210.jpg

P1040209.jpg

Then after moving them outside for the day I noticed another.

P1040211.jpg

I looked at the poop chart and think it looks like intestinal lining. These girls (as far as I know) have not been wormed. This is the first time I have seen anything like this

Looking for opinions.. Thank you!!

There is a little more blood for just intestinal shedding. It has the appearance of some intestinal shedding. But I would worm them to be on the safe side.

Look for responses from dawg53 for most reliable information.

I am ignorant on this.. it does not look "normal' to me.... but, I understand that -- is it cocci that can cause bloody poop?

Use the Search feature here on BYC and search for bloody poop, cocci, etc.. see what you come up with that way.

Best of luck, they are very pretty birds.

Thanks for the replys!

I dissected the poops in the first two photos.. all the red was actually little pinkinsh/reddish blobs.. Almost like boogers. Sorry I didn't take more photos
sickbyc.gif

I am sure it won't hurt to worm them anyway just in case... What is the preferred wormer??

I have some Pancur and I also have some Sulmet that says its used for coccidia . I have been reluctant to use the sulmet because I have heard its hard on their systems and also it is not approved for laying hens..????

I have seen wazine for sale at TSC

Thanks

i would suspect coccidiosis rather than worms. i have read that corid is easier on their systems than sulmet. Were it me, i would treat with corid for coccidiosis.

For worming, which you would want to do at a later time, i use Wazine in their water for one day. Then about two weeks later i follow up with ivermectin drops on the back of their neck, right on their skin. This seems to catch all the different types of worms. Plus, the ivermectin also kills mites and lice.

I've been having the same exact thing happen. I had tests done for parasites and for coccidiosis. Both came back negative. By all means get yours tested if you can, but it may be the same thing I've been having happen. And btw, if it's been going on longer than a day, it's definitely not normal intestinal poops, which is the other possibility I've been told. I've seen several people having the same issue you and I are having. I sure hope we get some answers soon.

Since they possibly have a questionable history and thankfully you have them quarantined, I would treat them with Corid as others have mentioned. Corid treats all 9 types of cocci, sulmet only treats 2 types. After 5 days treatment with corid (per directions,) feed them scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk for the next 3 days to build their strength and immune system. Then worm them with either valbazen (albendazole) or safeguard (fenbendazole.) Make sure you redose them in 10 days. Edited: I would sanitize everything with ammonia/water to kill cocci protozoa if present....feeders, waterers, their cage, wherever the BR's were present.

Last edited:
If I saw those poos in my chicken yard I'd definitely be treating for something, depending on the age of the chickens. If young, corid. If older, I'd worm them. Since yours are youngish, it is reasonable to give them corid IMO. (Older hens can still get coccidiosis if immunocompromised, but usually those over 8 weeks will have built up immunity to cocci).

Thanks for all your help!!

I did not see any other poops like this all day. the rest of the poops looked fairly normal.

I did notice that one of the girls has a pale face compared to her sister... after doing a read up on coccidia I see that a pale face can be a symptom
hmm.png

I will get some corrid this weekend, I believe they stock it at TSC

Quote:
It will be in the cattle section. Try to get valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer (500ml bottle) or safeguard liquid goat wormer (125ml bottle) while you're at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom