Pullets can crow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicka D Mama, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chicka D Mama

Chicka D Mama Just Hatched

May 2, 2016
    Rural northeast Arkansas
    I have 17 pullets. A few are 11 weeks old and the rest are 10 weeks. They have definitely grown past the vocal "peep" stage, however, the sound I heard coming from two of my girls last week completely stunned me!
    I assure you, I am quite positive they are all female. None have spurs or the classic rooster comb on their forehead. But there was no mistaking the crisp sound of "cocka-doodle-doo" that morning, and every morning since!
    Is this something they will outgrow or will it disappear once I bring in a true rooster into the flock early next spring?

1 person likes this.
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

my roo didn't get spurs til he was roughly 6-8 months old. sometimes hens will crow if there isn't a roo

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you posted some photos it might help confirm you don't have any roosters. It's not normal for pullets to attempt a crow, they will try cackling and screeching. There are instances of hens acting like roosters but never that young, they are mostly over a year old.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I think that you have one or more cockrels, not a rare event when buying pullets. Pictures? Mary

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure you have cockerels. My guess is they're not straight combed breeds, and you're not seeing the signs of a rooster. Males this young don't have spurs yet, some roosters don't get them until a year or so. Basically, any bird that crows at this young age is a rooster.

Pictures will tell the tale.

1 person likes this.
  6. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

Yeah leghorns pulled that with us too.
    Reading back,what breed are they?

7. pipAchick

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    I got rid of three egg layers that crowded every morning FOR months while I gathered eggs.
    They where all white leghorns.
    The last rooster would crow all NIGHT long. My neighborhood still cracks up About it.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    We need proof - put it on youtube

1 person likes this.
  9. pipAchick

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    @diva
    Poor neighbor already thinks my polish are Tasmanian devils I'm leaving those nice people alone. They are not byc'ers. And leghorns are audios amigos![​IMG]
    Last white left&she's rooster bestest gf

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  10. Chicka D Mama

Chicka D Mama Just Hatched

May 2, 2016
    Rural northeast Arkansas
    Good idea. Of course they were quiet this morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by