pullet's comb, rump & feet bright red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beaglex3, Feb 17, 2013.

1. beaglex3

beaglex3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    this morning when i let our hens out of the coop, i noticed that one of our barred plymouth rock pullet's comb was bright red. upon closer inspection i saw that she is missing feathers on her rump and the skin there is also bright red, as are her feet. our temps drop down to the teens at night, but i checked and it was 24 degrees in the coop where they roosted all night so i'm not thinking frostbite. while i watched her, she walked around fine, but when she stopped, she would lift alternate feet, standing on only one at a time. one of the other pullet's feet are a little red but the other 12 look fine. any ideas??? Thanx!!

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Do you know for sure she's a pullet?

The red feet make me think rooster. Roosters have red feet because of their male hormones. A bright red comb is also a rooster trait. Pullets don't have combs as bright red as roosters do. The red rump is also (I think) a male hormone thing.

If you have two of them like this and have never gotten eggs from them to know they are pullets, then there is the big chance that they are roosters. [​IMG]

Pictures would be helpful...

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Mites, lice or both can cause this.

4. beaglex3

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    thank you for your replies. i'm sure she's a pullet. we have 14 chickens and have gotten 14 eggs in one day so we're sure all are pullets...or maybe hens by now as they are almost a year old. she is still missing feathers and her rump, feet and comb are redder that the other ladies', but otherwise is healthy. i checked her for mites/lice and didn't see anything. plus, wouldn't the other chickens have them by now if that was the problem. i have 3 dust baths with ashes and de that they use frequently. i was hoping that would prevent infestation. i'll just keep an eye on her and if i get a chance, i'll take some pics and post them. thanks again!

5. beaglex3

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    we still have hens with red featherless bottoms and are beginning to wonder if it could be a result of the 6 inch board roosts we use. we scrape the poop off of the boards every morning so they don't have to stand/sit in their iwn poop for nights on end, but we're wondering if the poop from 1 night and the ammonia build up may be causing the loss of feathers and irritation on their rumps. any thoughts on this???
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by