Pullets Coughing, Sneezing, Bright Green Stool

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
Alright, I bought four Cochins yesterday from a private seller. At first I thought they had sour crop, but I ruled that out as dehydration instead. Those symptoms disappeared, but now one pullet is sneezing, coughing, and earlier had some yellow nasal discharge. Probably some sort of respiratory infection, right? All four pullets are eating/drinking normally. I can't easily tell if they are lethargic or not since I just got them. They don't seem very active to me, but maybe that's their breed? Now on top of that, there's bright green stool everywhere in the coop. I did take their food out of their coop yesterday to rule out sour crop; could that be a cause for the green stool? We phoned the breeder to ask if he knew anything about the symptoms we were dealing with, and he said they were completely healthy. Um...? He says he's a professional chicken breeder and knows that the chickens were healthy before he sold them. I don't trust that though, since sick chickens can go easily undetected.

I really don't want to deal with all these issues if they are going to be pricey and time-consuming. Even if we try giving them treatment for their respiratory infection won't they still be carriers and spread it to our flock? Really undecided on what to do, any help would be super appreciated.

How old are the pullets? How many pullets are coughing/sneezing etc.? If only one of them, do you heve a separate box/brooder that you can keep that pullet in? Green poop can mean not eating enough, did you put the feed back after you took it out? If not I would do that immediately. Is the feed they have enough for all of them and does it have enough nutrients? Putting some drops of apple cider vinegar may help with the symptoms. If you haven’t already, I would give them grit for digestion. Sorry I don’t know a lot about chickens being carriers, but good luck with the chickens!

How old are the pullets? How many pullets are coughing/sneezing etc.? If only one of them, do you heve a separate box/brooder that you can keep that pullet in? Green poop can mean not eating enough, did you put the feed back after you took it out? If not I would do that immediately. Is the feed they have enough for all of them and does it have enough nutrients? Putting some drops of apple cider vinegar may help with the symptoms. If you haven’t already, I would give them grit for digestion. Sorry I don’t know a lot about chickens being carriers, but good luck with the chickens!
They are in the 15 week range, not exactly sure. Only one is sneezing, but there isn't really anywhere else for her to go. Wouldn't she have already spread anything to the others anyway?

I did put their food back in early this morning, there is plenty for all four and it's a chick grower I've used with all my other chicks without issues.

I'll give them some grit. Not sure what else to do. :/

Back
Top Bottom