pullets don't like crumbles...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lambchicks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    6 or 7 of my 20 week old red sex link pullets are laying. I have a few slackers. So anyway, yesterday the grower/starter feed ran out. I went and purchased layer crumbles. They don't like it. I have added sand for grit in a seperate bowl. They just are not eating as much. Some even turned their head and didn't eat any at all.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks IA!
    Cindy

2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Is the texture a lot different from their old feed? I'm sure they will eat it when they're hungry enough, but in the meantime I bet you could entice them to eat it by mixing in some applesauce or yogurt and serving it as a treat. If you really wanted to baby them, you could do this for a few days making the mixture drier and drier until they are just eating the crumbles!

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    The new feed is a lot more course. It also smells real different. I am glad I didn't get the pellets, they certainly would not have ate those! I do like your idea.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Soften with a little water and they should be fine...

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They will eat it when thery get hungry enough. Sometimes when I have changed feed they haven't seemed to eat it to well in the beginning but after a couple of days they will eat it. Now mine devour it.

6. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:Chickens don't seem to like change too much. Mine were like yours initially. In addition to the texture difference, they may also prefer the higher protein content of the starter/grower mash. But they'll come around.

7. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    What I have discovered is they will eat it when they get hungry, but I don't like crumbles because they waste a LOT more feed. I won't use them any more because of that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by