Pullets Ear - photo of

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CK Chickadilly, Sep 12, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am hoping this picture turns out....1st time posting one.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of my handicapped pullets ear after she was attacked & left for dead. SHe was very swollen & then finally lost her scab.

I have never seen an ear of a chicken before & thought some of you might like to see what it looks like. Hopefully her feathers will grow over it again soon.

2. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Yikes, Poor thing.
    Brenda

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I've never seen one that close, is it supposed to have a hole like that in it? Poor baby, has it healed up? She's pretty, hope she does well. [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Is that how the ear is now? What is the handicap (and is she handicapped from that incident?) It looks abscessed to me (abscess in a bird does not "redissolve" back but must be removed manually) she may need prednisone creme or similar for the inflammation and a topical as well as systemic antibiotic... the ear is a very delicate organ and damage/abscess will cause imbalance and neurological symptoms.

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Her ear looks better now since the picture was taken. Her balance is better but she still does the face plants coming out of her cage in the morning.

She was left for dead after a hawk attacked her in the morning. ALmost 3 wks. ago. She was cold, damp from dew & sandy in the bucks pen. Thanks GOD for the bucks! They must have scared it off. She was pecked on both sides of her head & she was bleeding pretty good. I got the blood stopped & cleaned her wounds & applied some neosporin. She laid on her side for 2 days under lights & towels keeping her warm. I hand to hand feed her & water her. She knew my voice & would open her eyes for a brief second then close them. She was finally standing by day 2 & slowly getting better everyday. Her beak was not working properly either but it is getting better. I had been feeding her cooked oatmeal & had to break pieces of bread for her & strawberry yogurt she loves. Now she can get bugs but the crickets are to hard for her to get yet. She doesn't have good balance but it is better. I don't know if she is permnently damaged but I love her any way! [​IMG] I won't let her roost with the big guys yet until she can fly up there herself. She follows me every where but she also enjoys being a chicken & does her own thing too.

The ear looks like it finally might grown some feathers back. It looks nice & clean & should be OK. Fingers crossed:)

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    awww....it's so hard being a chicken sometimes.

So glad she's feeling better.

me,
    g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by