Pullets Eyes Swelling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ValleyFarm, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ValleyFarm

ValleyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hello,
    I just posted 6 days ago about a couple of my ~2month old chicks dying from something, which was coccidiosis. Today is the last day that I am treating with corrid, and blood from poop has seemed to disappear. No more chicks have died since giving the corid, and judging on how quick they were dieing from the coccidiosis, it saved them.

Unfortunately, however, the afflicted chicks and several others are still not doing well. I do not know if the symptoms are due to coccidiosis or if they simultaneously have another problem, but they are not doing well. 3 of them are very bad with both eyes swollen completely shut, with them acting as if they struggle to keep balanced. The others are not swollen shut completely or only have one eye swollen shut. It seems like the ones that are not completely swollen shut do have some bubbles in their eyes. The more sick ones appear to be sneezing, or at least what I would call sneezing, and because of their blindness are struggling with eating and drinking. Like I said, all poop has stopped containing blood. I didn't see any worms around their eyes, as one of the things I think I read mentioned eye worms.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    This sounds like some sort of respiratory disease. It could be anything, from Infectious Bronchitis to Chronic Respiratory Disease (Mycoplasma), or even a combination of diseases. I'd go and get a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Terramycin (oxytetracycline) as soon as possible. If it is Chronic Respiratory Disease, the antibiotic should help. If it is a disease caused by a virus, the antibiotic will not treat the disease, only any secondary infections.

Make sure that the chicks are kept warm and well hydrated. Keep us upadated!

3. ValleyFarm

Jun 5, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I'm assuming that the one problem may have weakened their immune system to the point of susceptibility to the other problem? Or perhaps I just am having very bad luck. I just got chickens this summer and it just seems like I've had one thing after another nonstop! Maybe I'll get a break after this. I thought I heard something about chronic respiratory disease being permanently contagious and it was recommended to cull afflicted chickens? I may be wrong and I hope that's not true!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. ValleyFarm

Jun 5, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Where do I get a broad spectrum antibiotic such as this?

5. ValleyFarm

Jun 5, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have not gotten an antibiotic yet but when I got home from work, my brother told me that our barred rock has been laying on its side all day refusing water. He also said one of the chicks that is actually acting healthier/more active had blood coming from its eyes today. Any advice?

6. ValleyFarm

Jun 5, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    As an update: the barred rock that was laying on its side died. I'm hoping it was from coccidiosis damage and not from this. The other chickens seem to be getting much worse. I'm going to buy antibiotic today.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. ValleyFarm

Jun 5, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Can someone please tell me where I can buy Terramycin? Tractor supply website search produces no results and nor does southern states.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I found Terramycin at a Farm & Fleet store, but I live in Wisconsin, so I'm not sure if there is one nearby you. Oxytetracycline is also sold under other names, such as Duramycin, and (I believe), LA200. So, maybe try searching for one of these.

If you can't find one of these, you could also try Tylan50 or Tylan200. Both of these antibiotics are geared towards respiratory disease. I myself have used them with satisfactory results.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by