Pullets fill water dish with bedding.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mfr4550, Feb 25, 2013.

1. mfr4550

mfr4550 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2012
    Ogden, Utah
    My pullets keep kicking shavings into their water dish. I don't recall this being such a problem in the past as it is now. In an effort to keep out the shavings, I've inverted a small plate and set the water container on top of that but they still manage to fill it with shavings every few hours. On the days that I work I only have time to care for their water twice a day. Any ideas?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Raise it up higher. I keep mine on bricks or 2x4s, whatever like that. My main waterer is up on a concrete block, the birds have to hop up on the block and drink, but it keeps the water mostly clean.

3. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Exactly this. I have mine on galvanized water buckets turned on their tops. Its just the right height for them to reach. Sometimes they get shavings in it, but not often. You can use 2 cinder blocks set together or a large chunk of wood.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x3! hang it off the ground or raise it up on something so it is a little off the bedding.

5. heirloomorps

heirloomorps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Brooksville, FL
    My Coop
    Yep, we use 2x4s. They still get a few shavings into it but it keeps it mostly clean.

6. mfr4550

Jun 17, 2012
    Ogden, Utah
    Thanks, I'll try the bricks. The problem is that I have 3 that are about 2-3 weeks old and one that is about 3-4 days old. I hope that she won't be too short to get onto the bricks. Worse case scenario, I may have to deal with it for another week till she's a little bigger.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Trust me, 3day old chick can easily hop or flutter to the height of a brick.

8. mfr4550

Jun 17, 2012
    Ogden, Utah
    Yep, I've put the food & water on bricks and it's working like a charm!. Thanks everyone for your input!

9. RainyPeeps

RainyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I recommend a nipple waterer all the way. Last summer we switched our big girls over to a homemade waterer that used a nipple and it's so easy and always clean. So when we got new chicks a couple of weeks ago I was a little nervous because my husband made them a little waterer with a nipple and I wasn't sure if they would get it. But they did! Almost right away. I can't even tell you how much easier it is. I remember last year with our chicks having to clean out their water several times a day. Poop, shavings, you name it. Now I just freshen it up once a day and only because it gets a little warm from their heat lamp. Highly recommend!

10. chickendude9

chickendude9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Snohomish, WA.
    Like everyone else said...bricks work good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by