Pullets first egg 6 days ago..nothing since???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amberu, Sep 29, 2010.

1. amberu

amberu Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    My girl Goldie laid her first egg last Thursday and she has had nothing since..I didn't know if this was normal or should I be worried?? she has gone in the coop a few times since and sat for a couple of hours..does her egg song..but no egg?? Please help calm this new mamas fears...Thanks

Amber

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could she be hiding them someplace else? It's unusual for a pullet to start laying and then stop. Normally once they start, they keep going. Could something be eating them? Is she a laying pullet (a production breed)? Some of the fancier breeds don't lay everyday. I don't know what to tell you. There are kinks in the plumbing that need to be worked out in new layers, but I would expect to see more eggs than just 1 in 6 days.

3. amberu

May 11, 2010
    no..she can't be hiding them..I am home all day and I have a suburban back yard..not many places to hide them..I keep a pretty close eye on her all day. she is a production red, so not fancy at all. She free ranges in the back yard all day with her 3 sisters and have lots of fresh food and water..I don't give them treats often. I'm just worried. She acts fine, eats and drinks..ranges all day. I checked her for bugs..nada. She is young..hatched on May 4th...maybe that is it???

Amber

4. amberu

May 11, 2010
    well we'll see what happens..she is in her nesting box now..so hopefully she will lay and I can quit worrying!!!!

Never mind, she laid me a egg..it was beautiful!!! Nice and big!

Thanks All!
    Amber

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by