Pullets first egg 6 days ago..nothing since???

amberu

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
My girl Goldie laid her first egg last Thursday and she has had nothing since..I didn't know if this was normal or should I be worried?? she has gone in the coop a few times since and sat for a couple of hours..does her egg song..but no egg?? Please help calm this new mamas fears...Thanks

Amber

Could she be hiding them someplace else? It's unusual for a pullet to start laying and then stop. Normally once they start, they keep going. Could something be eating them? Is she a laying pullet (a production breed)? Some of the fancier breeds don't lay everyday. I don't know what to tell you. There are kinks in the plumbing that need to be worked out in new layers, but I would expect to see more eggs than just 1 in 6 days.

no..she can't be hiding them..I am home all day and I have a suburban back yard..not many places to hide them..I keep a pretty close eye on her all day. she is a production red, so not fancy at all. She free ranges in the back yard all day with her 3 sisters and have lots of fresh food and water..I don't give them treats often. I'm just worried. She acts fine, eats and drinks..ranges all day. I checked her for bugs..nada. She is young..hatched on May 4th...maybe that is it???

Amber

well we'll see what happens..she is in her nesting box now..so hopefully she will lay and I can quit worrying!!!!

Never mind, she laid me a egg..it was beautiful!!! Nice and big!

Thanks All!
Amber

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom