Pullets first egg is HUGE...bigger than a ducks huge..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrapmom5, Aug 18, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Our EE just layed her first egg. It was massively huge. Larger than our duck eggs. We ate it saturday and it was a triple yoker. Her other eggs have also been huge though not all have triple yokes. Is Cleo going to be ok. Pullet eggs are supposed to start small and get bigger...hers are already big (like jumbo at grocery store) will they get even bigger?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it can go from huge to normal also...her ovaries are just getting going and her body will play catch-up.

best blessings for awesome eggs!

3. scrapmom5

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    For Cleo's sake I hope they don't get much bigger...If it doesn't cause her any problems than I really like the mega huge eggs. My Dh ate it and when I cooked it I broke one yolk, half way through I broke the second. When he was eating it he said it is the only egg he has ever eaten that was, Hard, Soft, and over easy all at the same time. LOL.

4. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    It might be a double yoker. ONe of my chicken's first egg was a double and it was hugh.

5. scrapmom5

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Quote:It was a triple yoker. They have since been single yokers but they are still the size of duck eggs.

Poor girl....probably can't even sit properly after laying something like that. I so sympathize with her, my first child was 9 1/2 pounds...didn't sit properly for months.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG]
    OUCH!

Congrats on the triple yoker, but you might need to get your girl a donut to sit on! [​IMG]

~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by