Pullets in December or January?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nsl1963, Nov 28, 2011.

1. nsl1963

nsl1963 New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Hello,

I am new to this forum and am really excited about getting started with chickens. I live in Hoover, Alabama and would like to know if it is possible to get pullets in December or January. Would they be laying? Does anyone have any resources on where to get them this time of year? Thanks!!

2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    hello and [​IMG]

I am totally new to chickens, but here are some thoughts:

I am starting to raise chickens at the coolest time of the year here in New England, so with your southern location it seems you would be fine provided you acclimate your chicks accordingly.

As far as resources, I dont know I ordered from MPC hatchery... I think supply is limited right now, but you should check it out [​IMG]

Laying eggs, they dont do that until 4-5 months as far as I know [​IMG]

edited to say Oh, maybe you are interested in buying pullets ready to lay? Maybe check craigs list, let's see what others have to say!

Good luck and enjoy

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Welcome to the Forum!!!!

You can raise chicks all year around. I live in Wisconsin and choose not to brood chicks in the fall and winter mainly because of the very cold weather. Another consideration for me is the weather and climate when I order the chicks.

The biggest issue you might come across is availability from hatcheries. Most hatcheries have limited "stock" selections this time of year. There are various reasons for this but over all most hatcheries start in Feb. The ones I'd try are Ideal and Privett and Welp. Ideal is in Texas Privett is in New Mexico and Welp is in Iowa, so that one I'd try last (Mainly due to the cold weather up here).
    I would imagine that you will be able to get the more common breeds like sex links, Australorps, maybe Barred Rocks.
    Depending of the breed you choose, I would think around June/July/August is when you will see eggs (assuming you can brood the pullets Dec/Jan).

There are a few options you can try. One is to find a hatchery in your state or as close as you can get. If they have what you want, see if they will allow you to pick the chicks up. This saves the chicks from a lot of stress going through the postal service, especially if you are in for inclimate (sp) weaher. Another option is to check craigslist or contact your local 4-H club or poultry club.

4. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    As previoius posters have mentioned, availability can be an issue.

I believe Ideal Hatchery in Texas, hatches all year.

As for buying day olds or started pullets in Dec or Jan, I would myself prefer Dec. Why?

Chicks hatched at the first of Dec would get to point of lay, in April +/-, SPRING TIME! Days are getting longer, nights are warmer in springtime--- ( Ventura highway in the sunshine---wait a minute I could right a song). It is my belief that your pullets will reach point of lay earlier when compared to chicks hatched say in May or June-- they reach point of lay in Sept or Oct just when day are getting shorter, molting and cool fall nights.

If ordered, you need to be more prepared to recieve your chicks, cause I garauntee they are going to arrive on the coldest day of the year-- happens to me all the time.

One other thing you can check into----

Don't know about Alabama, but here in La. The feedstores that stock chicks have end of season sales, you might be able to get chicks that are several weeks old for day old prices. Call your local or semi local feedstores and see if you can score some leftovers at a bargain price. I did, in Oct I scored 10 - 6 week old barred rock pullets for $3 ea. You will have to settle for what is available, but in my experience the feedstores usually stock the more polpular breeds anyway, barred rocks, white rocks, rhode islands, black sexlinks, red sexlinks, easter eggers, maybe a few leghorns or austrolorps and orpingtons thrown in. One thing about the more popular breeds, they got that way because they are super easy to take care of, or they are good layers, in either case they will be good for a beginner. Give it a try.

As mentioned earlier my 10 pullets will reach point of lay in March +/- a few weeks, just when conditions become favorable for egg production.

5. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    Good Morning! Welcome to the world of chickens. Where to get pullets in winter? I think the first thing to clarify is if you want chicks or birds about to begin laying. Regardless, one good place to start is to GOOGLE hatcheries. Find one near you that has the type of bird you want. Another source is the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP)The NPIP publishes directories near the beginning of the calendar year of it members. One directory is of game and hobby flocks. Your local Alabama Department of Ag should have the NPIP directory. Alternatively the NPIP national office is in Tucker GA. They will send you a directory, though it may cost.
    Regardless of where you procure birds, I strongly urge you to get them from an NPIP member flock. Should you wish additional information on the NPIP, contact them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by