pullets in the fall

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by maggiegigs, Aug 8, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I have been reading the original Corning Egg Farm Book and he states that he always had pullets for the fall in order to ensure eggs throughout the winter (leghorns). However, someone recently told me that would be risky since the pullets need to have full feathers to make it through the winter. However, I would have a heat lamp in coop when it gets bitter. Thanks![​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Pullets refer a female bird under a year old. If they are stating "to have eggs thru winter", their pullets would be fully feathered and laying, so heat would not be an issue since they don't lay until about 6 months or so. As long as the birds are fully feathered and have time to acclimate to the declining temps, they will be fine without heat in an enclosed coop.

3. maggiegigs

Jul 31, 2010
    Thank you for your reply. My coop is up and I am having a contractor do the run next week (so as not to offend neighbors)...
    Question: is it best to wait until spring for chicks or can I go ahead and get three pullets? Will they bond somewhat with me at their age?
    I do not want standoffish pets.[​IMG]

4. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am finishing up some hatches of chicks that will be going out for winter. As long as you time it so they get outside while the days are still fairly nice, they can still acclimate well for winter. You could even get some started pullets, if you can find some close by, that you may be able to bond with. Usually around 6 weeks or so is still a nice age. In a new environment, they will be scared, so spend time with them and get them used to you.

5. maggiegigs

Jul 31, 2010
    Thank you so very much for the info. The pullets will be 13 weeks before I can get them. That is the second week of September here in PA.
    They are Barred Rock Pullets. The weather is still very pleasant and warm until Nov. 1st. Would you consider these "too old" so to speak
    for them to be friendly? Thank you again! I truly appreciate any input. I already have $2000 into my coup and run so I want to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Learning curve ones later on I can handle.

6. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm sure you'll be fine. Hopefully their current owners are interacting with them and getting them used to people. Environmental factors are a primary cause of skittish birds - at least that's my feeling on it. I hope you enjoy your new chicks when you get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by