Pullets keep getting weak and dying!

Songbird21

Songster
9 Years
Oct 19, 2012
I've got a flock of 45-day old pullets and in the last week I've lost 2 and 4 more are sick. They seem fine and then just get weaker and weaker until we have to force-feed them to keep them alive. Some get better but I don't know what's going on. My brother suggested a vitamin deficiency. It seems to run about a week from onset to death or recovery. Any ideas?

My brother said if it was then they wouldn't get better just from feeding them chick mash.

They might, if you are giving them enough supportive care to recover from the damage the parasites are doing. I'd treat them with amprolium.

Get some Corid right away and treat them for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Coccidiosis is the most common infection that is seen in young chickens, and is common in warm or wet weather. Keep the bedding cleaned and dry, and change your Corid water daily.

Coccidiosis symptoms are not eating, sleepiness, standing hunched or puffed up, and diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom