Pullets Lay In Barn A Lot

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Greencastle, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Greencastle

Greencastle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    I have 3 to 4 month Maran pullets. 6 of them. They have had a penned in yard a week and they were hatched by hens in a penned in yard. They lay down on the floor of their 10 X 14 barn most of the day and only come out to eat grass a few times a day. Is this normal? I feed them laying mash and I think I read not to? They may have mites and I will treat them with powder for that tonight. They seem healthy. Any thoughts?

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    What is their pen like? Grassy or bare? Is it really hot outside? A 10 X 14 barn is luxuriously big for 6 chickens! I wouldn't worry if they like it in there. Usually people give grower feed until they start laying, tho yours are almost there at 4 months.. There are forums describing how to look for mites that you may want to look at....
    Good luck!

3. Greencastle

Jun 25, 2016
    It's not hot out or humid at all! Great day to sit outside. I am I PA. Someone told me they are easier to catch at night so I will try catching them then and checking for infestation. Thank you.

4. Greencastle

Jun 25, 2016
    My pen is grassy.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The only birds you have are these 6?......and you've only had them a week?
    They are getting used to the new place....and chickens do spend a lot of time lounging around.
    They may feel safer lounging in the barn rather than out in an open pen.

No, you shouldn't feed layer feed until they are actually laying, which won't be until 6 months at the earliest.
    The extra calcium can be detrimental to the liver and they need more protein to keep growing well than what is in layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by