Pullets laying ? and what new breeds to add for more egg production ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SSAcres, Mar 22, 2013.

1. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it safe to say that all of our pullets are laying based on a four day egg count? We have 10 pullets and 1 roo, not that he matters, but don't want his pretty self to be left out of this. The girls were six months old on 3/16. The last four days they left us 13 eggs... the most so far. It went 4, 3, 4, 2 (not sure why only two yesterday.) They started laying 3/3, just one, but something got them going. Four being the most laid in a day so far. They're free range, if that matters any. Also, they were eating the eggs early on, but they've stopped doing that since we added oyster shells free choice to their diet. We've got one, maybe two, that are laying huge double yolkers. Our first egg was a double yolker and we've had, at least, four more since.
    Here's a pic of one of the huge ones we got on 3/18. Another yesterday... we need double yolker sized egg cartons, as the lids won't close.
    TIA!

L.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Probably not yet. They've only been at it 2 weeks. If they're good producing breeds, you'll know when you get 10 in one day.
    What breed are they?

3. SSAcres

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, forgot to mention the breed. The roo is my avatar. They're all Light Brahmas.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They average about 150 a year so you may never get 10 in a day but your best chances are in the first year of laying.,

5. SSAcres

Ok, thank you. I was trying to be optimistic. We're planning to add more chickens to the flock and I really like the Silver Laced Wyandotte or possibly the Black Australorps as they seem to lay more eggs on average. We like black and white, it's kinda our theme here. We also enjoy the colored eggs. Other suggestions welcomed. Also considered Barred Rock. Need cold hardy, okay free range and okay in the coop during inclimate weather, anything but white eggs (SO would love to have the dark brown egg layers someday), black or blk/wht and friendly disposition.

Thanks again.

L.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Barred Rocks, or any Rocks are very good layers. You could also try White and Black Jersey Giants. Very friendly birds. There is also a Blue variety.
    Other choices would be Chantecler, Delaware and Sussex.
    Langshan and Barnevelder are good layers, calm and some lines lay dark eggs.
    Welsummers lay very dark eggs and fit the bill.

My favorite is Penedesenca, great forager, very dark egg, great forager but hate captivity and are extremely wild.

7. I highly reqeust getting Black Australorps they are great layers they are really really really sweet too! Australorps and Americanas are my 2 favorite breeds!
    Here is a list of breeds I find fantastic layers the list is in order 1 = best:
    1. Black Australorp
    2. Rhode Island Red
    3. Buff Orpington
    4. Cochins
    5. Jersey Giants
    6. Americanas
    7. Leghorns
    I dont know much about Wyandottes. But those are some good layers. I am not really into the eggs I more like the chickens to be sweet but some people like eggs and to have nice chickens.
    I would definently get Black Australorps they are fantastic layers. I have 2 pure Black Australorps and 10 Black Australorp mixes. They are great birds.
    Good luck!

8. SSAcres

Thanks you two. I've been showing my SO my list of chickens I'd like to add then would increase our egg production significantly. Our large coop can easily house 75 birds, but we don't need that many. We'd be happy w/ 25-30 total laying hens. We go through 35 eggs/week just here at home, approximately 150/month. We'd like to have some extras for family. 13 eggs in five days this week isn't going to cut it, although they're young and just getting into it. I know it'll increase as the weather gets warmer and foraging gets better along w/ increased age.

The Black Jersey Giant got added to my list tonight. SO approved. He also likes the idea of adding Cuckoo or Black Copper Marans for the chocolate eggs. It seems they produce like the Light Brahmas.

Thanks again.

L.

9. krcchickens

krcchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    Fort Lupton, Colorado
    Black australorps are wonderful birds

10. MizMinerva

MizMinerva New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    Idaho
    I really love my cuckoo marans. They free range and forage like champs even in the snow and as long as I give them enough light I easily get 4-6 eggs per chicken a week. But they are going into their second year and may slow down some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by