pullets laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by etburrows, Jul 29, 2014.

1. etburrows

etburrows New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    I have 11 pullets 4 black stars and 7 red stars they are approximately 5.5 months old and I'm only getting 1 egg a day for the past 24 days only reason i know the days I've gotten 2 dozen eggs. The egg is in the same box everyday except for once it was in another box. Why don't i get multiple eggs a day?This is my first time for laying hens. Could anybody give me some input please?
    Thank you

2. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Not all the of them lay right away.Their pullets.Your lucky enough to get that 1.Soon you'll get a ton and be happy,but beaware there is a quiting point.It happens to young chickens.They grow threw it.

Well sometimes hens choose different nest boxes so you are probably getting the same egg their just choosing different nests.Trust me you would be getting two if there was another hen laying.They dont do that often 1 lays other doesn't yeah once they get started they do for the rest of the time and quit about around 1 year.Its a phase basically.

3. etburrows

etburrows New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    thank you
    i think im just getting anxious i will be patient and it will come
    have a great day

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Red and black stars are usually laying by 20 weeks.
    Do you free range? Are you sure they're not laying out on the range area?

5. etburrows

etburrows New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    now im getting 3 a day and the 2 new ones are golf ball size. the age of my pullets are maybe a couple of weeks off because i got my chickens for my high school that the FFA class ordered from a breeder and raised and gave to me at the end of the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by