Pullets living in dog house

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by trooper, Jul 14, 2011.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I got 6 Black Link pullets in March.After the weather got decient I placed them in my main run in a fenced in area using a small dog house to put them in at night with a heatlamp.It worked and they got used to my adult chickens.I took down the fence and all appeared to be good until I noticed that the Youngens are sleeping in the dog house.They are almost to the laying size and I don't want to confuse them,but do you have any idea what I can do to get them to use the main chicken house.They all get along good.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks:old

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd remove the dog house (temporarily). I'd probably monitor roosting time for the first few days though to make sure the older birds are allowing the younger birds in - that may be why they ended back up in the doghouse...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, chicken math turned the back yard of the house I rent into a Chicken Compound, with one main coop, then a couple "grow-out/integration" coops, then some more..... because the youngsters had become used to their gro out coops and didn't think to join the original group of chickens in the main coop when I removed the temporary fencing which separated the kids from the grown-ups.

So this is just my thinking aloud (so to type) about the subject: Remove the dog house, and at night when the kids start to group together - probably pretty confused about not having a doghouse any more - pick them up and put them into the big coop.

I did move my original flock from one too-small coop to the big one after I built the big one. They didn't "get it" for about 3 nights that they should be sleeping in that new, larger building.

Now that I have several coops in the back yard, the chickens CHOOSE which coop in which to sleep. Some of the youngsters have moved from their grow out lodgings into one or another of the other coops. I don't care where they sleep as long as they're safe inside. (Of course, that means the chickens that want to sleep on my back porch are totally fighting the system... but that will change when I move out of this rental and into the house I bought, where the 2-car garage was transmorgrified into a nice, large coop capable of housing up to 84 chickens.)

4. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Quote:I was just wondering if I could have your garage. Just call me envious.

5. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    Thanks for the help.I start vacation tomorrow so that will work out good.I'll keep you posted:D[​IMG]

6. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I only had to put my babies in 1 night by hand.I waited until they were on their roost and moved them in 1 at a time with no hassle.I just checked on them and they are all stug in their home.Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by