Pullets Losing Feathers + Suspicious fecal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeepoo, May 31, 2010.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I got 6 chicks, all different breeds, from a local NPIP breeder in late March, and brooded them to 5 weeks when I exchanged 2 roos for 2 hens with him. I had already done a 1 week run of antibiotics on them early since they didn't have medicated feed and their poop looked questionable, and when the new birds came they were naturally wilder and more stressed than the other original 4- I chalked up their frequent runny gold poos to stress and intermittent cecal poos. Now, there's too many incidences of nasty gold, runny poo and NASTY smell, and there are LOTS of feathers in the run that I frankly don't remember seeing with my Reds 2 years ago at this age. I started everyone on antibiotics in case they'd brought something from the other poultry yard with them, but I'm wondering now if it's worms? And is it normal for so many long feathers coming out of these pullets of less than 4 months of age? *Even the Reds in the adjacent coop have smellier poop now too. Yuck.

Breeds: Cuckoo Maran, Light Brahma, Buff Orp, BLRW, Ameraucana, & BC Maran

2. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    No answers? I cleaned out the hen houses and gave them fresh wood shavings, refilled antibiotic H2O and feed and am waiting it out. I can replace the sand but I need to find out what's going on on the INSIDE with them.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You could take their stools to a vet and have them checked for parasites. That would help rule out worms. As for the feathers, some of mine tend to lose a lot at this age as they are bringing in their adult plumage. Could also be a moult due to stress. Have you seen anyone picking?

4. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I think that occasionally the buff orp chases the 2 newer birds, but these are ALL color feathers, some short, some 4-5" longÂ… a cross sample from several different birds. I should go ahead and check for worms- then do we use one specific medicine to kill the worms? I have piperazine, but I thought that was just for round worms.

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Losing feathers will not worry me to much.They molt a few times before get adult plumage.If they look healty after antibiotics I will worm them.I worm with VALBAZEN.I think is Stronger

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by