1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets molting before they lay the first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rlmiddlebrooks, Sep 17, 2015.

1. rlmiddlebrooks

rlmiddlebrooks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2015
    I have 4 EE pullets that are molting and have never laid an egg. I'm not sure if this is normal. How long will it last? I have noticed a few feathers here and there but in the last few days it looks like a pillow fight may have happened in the run. Is this normal? How long will it last? The pullets are 9 months old.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pillow fight look sounds like molt to me. Molt can happen at any age and any time of year. There are various molts as birds grow but a bit unusual for EEs to molt their first autumn. Any type of stress can sometimes stimulate molt.
    What makes up their entire diet, where are you located and what is lighting like in their coop/hours outdoors.

3. rlmiddlebrooks

Jul 6, 2015
    Coop for EE pullets is 4x8 and run is 12x9. Layer feed 16% grit and oyster shell all free choice. The stress is that I just moved them here about three weeks ago. I've just never heard of pullets molting this young. I guess anything is possible. One of them has been sick but she is separated and doing good.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The breed I raise will molt their first autumn if they hatch early enough in the year.

My best advice is to lose the layer feed until you start getting eggs. Molting birds can benefit from a higher protein feed. Higher protein may stimulate ovulation. A bird not building egg shells shouldn't be getting 4% calcium in their daily diet.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had a 9 month old pullet stop laying and molt last fall, took her 2-3 months to get back to business.

6. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    All my girls went through a "mini-molt" shortly before they started laying. I've been told that it's a normal juvenile molt. I have 6 pullets, and it certainly looked like they were having pillow fights! They never lost enough feathers to be visibly noticeable, except for when their tail feathers fell out [​IMG] thankfully that didn't last long!

7. Chickynik

Chickynik Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    N Idaho/E Washington
    My lavender orps are doing the same. No eggs yet, pillow fight feathers, husband calling them freeloaders...After reading this thread, I made them a nice protein packed treat, because I can never do just a little.:p Here is an Armanian cucumber, sliced lengthwise. On top is a spread made of scrambled egg, tuna and peanut butter. After some strange looks, it was a big hit![VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO] In the corner of the picture, is our calico kitty, Steeler, taste testing for her bird friends.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had plenty of 9 month old pullets molt. They generally don't go through a hard molt, but it's enough to keep them from laying.

9. rlmiddlebrooks

Jul 6, 2015
    This is a hard molt. One of my girls is almost bald. They are acting ok but feathers everywhere every day. I was so surprised that they would molt like this before laying any eggs. I guess I was wrong!!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    9 months and no eggs? Bummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by