Pullets not laying at 23 weeks

frgntd

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2013
Delaware, OH
I have 7 pullets (white PR, EE, Wyandotte, and Red Sex-linked) and a Roo that are 23 weeks and haven't laid any eggs. I also have 5 3-year old hens that aren't laying either! I know some is seasonal and molt, etc, but am very perplexed. There is no evidence that they are being eaten.

Over the summer they free ranged for part of the day, until a coyote came to visit. I was also giving them a fair amount of greens and sunflower seeds. Could it be nutritional? Are they effected by having the rooster brother? Other ideas?

I have 7 pullets (white PR, EE, Wyandotte, and Red Sex-linked) and a Roo that are 23 weeks and haven't laid any eggs. I also have 5 3-year old hens that aren't laying either! I know some is seasonal and molt, etc, but am very perplexed. There is no evidence that they are being eaten.

Over the summer they free ranged for part of the day, until a coyote came to visit. I was also giving them a fair amount of greens and sunflower seeds. Could it be nutritional? Are they effected by having the rooster brother? Other ideas?

They probably just aren't old enough yet. I've had pullets lay in the range of four months five days to over 8 months. I have a spring batch that are exactly 6 months old today, or 26.25 weeks old and no eggs from them yet although some have combs that are starting to redden up so I am hopeful. Their mothers all started laying in the 5 to six month age.
I've found that the rooster plays an important roll of the age his daughters start laying, but unfortunately I got a new rooster this spring and don't know much about the age his mother or sisters or aunt's laid. All I know is he is an extremely nice rooster.
I have a feeling the shortened days are playing a part but hopefully they will lay soon.
The older birds may be molting or reacting to the shorter daylight. Are the combs on your younger birds turning redder? Are they squatting? Do you know anything about their family history, at the age relatives started to lay. Hopefully it will be soon for both of us.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't seen anyone squat yet, so I am expecting to wait a while. A couple have fairly red combs but most don't. I especially love to hear that you have a "very nice rooster" since this is my first and I have heard many horror stories! So far he is nice and very handsome.

My batch from May 23 have just started laying in the last two weeks. Give yours some time yet. This time of year pullets mature a bit more slowly which is actually a good thing. It allows their bodies to mature enough before they start to lay. It's always best to tack a month onto the expected start dates during this time of year. Your older hens will taking a break to molt and recover. They probably won't lay for another month or two.

As an update, I have used the lights for 4 hours in the evening and within days 2 of them are laying!!! Many thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom