1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vachicken, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Vachicken

Vachicken New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    I received 12 20-22week old red sex link pullets in early september and put them with 5 older hens. They free range during the day and are cooped up at night. All the chickens get along and seem very happy. I have not gotten any eggs from the pullets yet. My older hens are laying, just none from the new ones. I use good quality laying mash, oyster shell is also out, and scratch. Any ideas what to do?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe they are not laying in the nesting boxes, and are laying somewhere outside. Try keeping them locked up in the coop/run until around 3:00 in the afternoon.

3. Vachicken

Vachicken New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    Actually a lot of days they are confined until 2-4pm. Ive just never had any do this before. Ive even had some other starter pullets lay the first night at my house. (A very little egg).

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just one day, one day lock them up all day. See if there are any eggs. Simple experiment. Then, you can decide what you next step is.

A red sex link should be a laying machine at 22 weeks. Something is amiss. Combs and wattles all deep red? Squats?

5. Vachicken

Vachicken New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    Thanks I will try that. Birds all look and act great. They squat when you go to pick them up. We walk outside and they all come running to us and follow us into the coop area for some scratch. All normal behavior except for the laying. [​IMG]

6. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Mine arent laying either, even the ones that have already started laying arent, im assuming its because winter is coming but im not sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by