Pullets open mouth breathing can't stand

Chickindayard

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
I have a 15 week old pullets not laying yet has been open mouth breathing for several days. I thought it was heat but now she's the only one doing it. She came out of the coop briefly this morning and attempted to eat but went back in and hasn't been able to stand since. She was eating and drinking yesterday and crop is empty now. Haven't observed any unusual poop. I have her in my bathroom in a tote with water with some egg yolk and nutridrench. She wouldn't drink for me even dripping it on her beak. I'm afraid that she will aspirated if I put some in her mouth. Suggestions?

I would suggest treating for heat sickness. She has all the symptoms. There can be one individual out of the entire flock what feels the heat more than normal. Give a cup of cool water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give as the only water source.

To show he the water tastes sweet, did her beak a few times.

If she refuses to drink, syringe the fluids into her right side of her beak like this.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

I would suggest treating for heat sickness. She has all the symptoms. There can be one individual out of the entire flock what feels the heat more than normal. Give a cup of cool water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give as the only water source.

To show he the water tastes sweet, did her beak a few times.

If she refuses to drink, syringe the fluids into her right side of her beak like this. View attachment 3170912
I had electrolytes in the water during the hot days last week. She is wheezing. The Temps are only in the 70s here right now so I don't think it's the heat. They have a shaded covered run (large) and a well ventilated coop. Fresh water at all times are on flock raiser, with oats, bsl, and scratch as treats each evening. I will try to syringe her as she will not drink or eat. Thanks!

I had electrolytes in the water during the hot days last week. She is wheezing. The Temps are only in the 70s here right now so I don't think it's the heat. They have a shaded covered run (large) and a well ventilated coop. Fresh water at all times are on flock raiser, with oats, bsl, and scratch as treats each evening. I will try to syringe her as she will not drink or eat. Thanks!
OK, I was able to syringe her successfully! (thank you for the picture as I wasn't sure how to do it) how much do I syringe into her and how often?

If what you are feeding these things daily I highly recommend you stop immediately.
Only feed the flock feed.
Never give oats and if you're going to give scratch give it only once a week.
The flock feed is a balanced meal.
Everything else that you are offering besides the flock feed is taking away from that bird getting a balanced meal which will cause problems.

A balanced diet is best.

Unfortunately it sounds like your bird is suffering from a respiratory illness. Is a vet visit an option?

If what you are feeding these things daily I highly recommend you stop immediately.
Only feed the flock feed.
Never give oats and if you're going to give scratch give it only once a week.
The flock feed is a balanced meal.
Everything else that you are offering besides the flock feed is taking away from that bird getting a balanced meal which will cause problems.

A balanced diet is best.

Unfortunately it sounds like your bird is suffering from a respiratory illness. Is a vet visit an option?
Not at the moment. 2 hours away from me and booked. Not sure if I can afford it either. I did get some water with nutridrench and electrolytes into her via syringe. She is much more perky and sitting up but still can't stand. Breathing fast but not frantically or open mouthed.

Are you giving her sugar in the water? Please do. This elevates the glucose and will revive a weak chicken.

Try to get six ounces of fluids per day into her. That's minimum. More is better.

Are you giving her sugar in the water? Please do. This elevates the glucose and will revive a weak chicken.

Try to get six ounces of fluids per day into her. That's minimum. More is better.
I wasn't.. Just nutridrench and rooster booster?

She just passed unfortunately. I'm so sad.. My first chickens.. But I do thank you for the help. I will be watching the rest of my flock just in case it was contagious.

Back
Top Bottom