Pullets or Cockerels? BLRWs. Please help out a first timer.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shikens!, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Shikens!

Shikens! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    These are my first ever chickens and I need some help sexing them. These 5 birds are 6-7 weeks old. I have organized my pics and there are a lot of them. First I will post each individual bird, then group shots with each bird numbered.

I want to get opinions of sex just based on photos then I will add in information on their behavior to help out. Just let me know if you need a specific angle of a specific bird.

Thanks for any help!

Bird Number 1-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird Number 2-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird Number 3-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird Number 4-
    [​IMG]

Bird Number 5-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Group Shots-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Great job with all the pictures & labeling! [​IMG] You put a lot of thought and work into that!

I do not know BLRW's much, but why the two different 'colors?' My guess would be that #3 & #4 are your cockerels. I'm not saying there aren't more, but those are the two that stand out for me.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    What a pretty bunch of Wyandottes! I see you got both the straight and the pea combs, so you got a good genetic mix with them.

The only one of the bunch that is definitely a pullet is number 2. Number one looks like it could go either way, and 3-5 are absolutely roos.

I hope that helps!

4. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:QFT

5. Shikens!

May 2, 2011
    Quote:The 2 colors are "splash" and "blue". Bird number 2 and 3 are "blue" the other 3 are splash. Thanks for weighing in!

6. Shikens!

May 2, 2011
    Quote:This describes exactly my opinion on the matter. Glad to see I am not totally off! I cannot decide on bird number 1 because this bird does not engage in any fighting, stare downs are bullying like birds 3-5 all do.

7. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:Actually wyandottes are rose comb and you should not breed the single comb Wyandottes. That was some bad information passed around BYC for the past couple years.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:Actually wyandottes are rose comb and you should not breed the single comb Wyandottes. That was some bad information passed around BYC for the past couple years.

Yes, sorry I mistyped about the comb type. That is interesting to hear bout the straight combs, as I've heard that even strict breeders sometimes have it crop up. It isn't wanted in birds for showing, certainly. But it doesn't sound unusual. I should go see if there is a related thread in the Breeds forum. Thanks for pointing that out!​

9. Shikens!

May 2, 2011
    I really don't want this thread to get derailed and become a debate about comb types. [​IMG] I really hope others chime in with their input on the sex of my birdies!

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    #1 or #2, MAY be hens(I'm not really sure on #1)...but 3, 4 and 5 are 100% roos(IMO).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by