Pullets or Cockerels??? Help!!!

Daisy May

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Hi! I have 4 Lavender Orpingtons that are 3-weeks-old. I was hoping to get someone with sexing or Orpington knowledge to help me sex these chicks as I know Orpington's are one of those breeds that don't follow an exact mold when it comes to developing. So I really need someone with experience here.

Anyway, first I am going to show you the two chickies with the most advanced feather growth.

First up is Righty...

And here is Red...

Now onto the other two who are lagging in feather growth.

Here is Lefty...

And last but not least...No Band...

So...if anyone wants to give me an educated guess at the sexes of these chickies, I would certainly appreciate it!!! :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the first one Righty, and last one No Band, are Cockerels and The other two are Pullets.
1f426.png
1f425.png
1f425.png

ChickennDudee...thank you! I have found very few willing to take a guess with the very young ones. I agree with you when judging by comb & wattle development & coloring. But if I judge on feather development, I have to go with Lefty & No Band being cockerels. So... we know Red is a pullet and No Band is a cockerel. With Orpingtons...should we put more weight on feather development, or comb & wattle development. ..that is the question...

Last edited:
ChickennDudee...thank you! I have found very few willing to take a guess with the very young ones. I agree with you when judging by comb & wattle development & coloring. But if I judge on feather development, I have to go with Lefty & No Band being cockerels. So... we know Red is a pullet and No Band is a cockerel. With Orpingtons...should we put more weight on feather development, or comb & wattle development. ..that is the question...

Wattle and comb, IMO. Esp wattle!

Back
Top Bottom