Pullets or Cockerels? Lots of Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GentlyLiving, Apr 12, 2012.

1. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    So these are my babies [​IMG] I got them at a local store where I was told I was buying four Araucanas and two Barred Rocks. Well it has been determined that these are four Easter Eggers and two mutts (thanks BYC!) I am still guessing on the gender though. I bought them as sexed pullets, but who knows if that is actually what I got [​IMG] I keep looking at other threads on gender and every time I think "Oh that is a roo for sure!" Everyone else says pullet... I guess I need more practice. Does not help that none of the barred rock sexing secrets seem to apply to my chicks because their coloring is mixed up. They are about four and a half weeks old at this point. Maybe a bit early to be certain, but I am hoping for some guesses. I'd also love to know what the "barred rocks" are mixed with. First the EEs...

Here is Sophie.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This Buttercup
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Crazy Daisy
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sunshine

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the Barred Rock mixes. Lavender.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Violet

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for looking and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Just went back to look at the thread on color sexing ees and comparing pictures I would guess Sophie is a rooster and the others are pullets?

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I'm not too sure about the EE's myself, but I think both of your BR's are pullets. Also I think I have that same nail polish!

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Lavender looks like its going to be a cockerel

5. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Haha! The babies wouldn't get off of my hand so I could take a pic. I hope they are pullets they are so sweet!

6. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Anyone else want to guess?

7. hearts34

hearts34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Blount county, AL
    Looks like all hens to me. If the wattles on one start growing larger and turning redder than the others, then you may have a cockerel, couldn't tell in the pics. though.

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I think all the EE's are pullets. Small combs, and cockerals wouldn't have that color.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    FYI, no such thing as color sexing with EEs. You have to look at feathering and legs and combs with these. They can come in any color, males or females. There are certain color patterns that are more associated with male or female, but they are not exclusive.

I am with SL21, they are all four pullets. That last one probably has some BR in it, but definitely not pure with those markings! It is a cute bunch, and if you got them at the feed store or TSC, you weren't going for much else. You will probably see eggs by the end of June too, and we love getting eggs the same year as we get them chicks! [​IMG]

Edited: That was weird, only 4 birds showed up the first time I looked through. LOL
    I still say they are all pullets. Not sure what the last 2 could be mixed with besides BR. Maybe something like an SLW, but I would think they would have different combs on them if that were the case.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Awesome! I would love if they were all girlies! And yes Minniechickmama, I am soooo excited to get eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by