Pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cason1479, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Cason1479

Cason1479 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Hello! I've got a few 10-12 weeks birds out of my bunch whos gender I'm questioning. Any help determining their sex would be greatly appreciated. Breed is not a concern. Thank you!

Bird #1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird #3
    [​IMG]

Bird #4
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Birds #1, and #2 are pullets, #3 could go either way, and bird #4 is a cockerel.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

4. Cason1479

Cason1479 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    That's better that I was expecting! Thank you. I'm brand new to this and trying to learn, could you explain your reasoning? I thought for sure my cinnamon queen, bird #1, would be a rooster, she's got the reddest, largest comb of all my chickens her age. And on bird #2 is it common for pullets to have tail feathers like that? That one sure acts like a rooster, but it's comb is very pale. Thanks!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Oh yes, #1's comb screams rooster. But she's a Red Sex Link - it's genetically impossible for her to be male. If she was, she'd be white.

#2 is a Dom Game. Gamefowl are bred for aggression; gamehens are just as likely to pick a fight with each other as any rooster.

6. Cason1479

Cason1479 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Interesting! Thank you, that's very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by