Pullets or Cockerels?

ChickenNewbie27

In the Brooder
May 30, 2019
0578695A-F99D-4E3E-9833-17B78247F4E4.jpeg
C236F9F1-0E98-4B18-9C96-F5B9FF2D49E4.jpeg
DA3DA7FD-9AFC-4C89-91D6-88BE7FF37B80.jpeg
We have eight 11 week old chickens that we bought from TSC. We thought we had 3 Asian Black pullets but soon realized when they started getting barring that they were mislabeled. I’m convinced all three dark chickens are cockerels but my husband insists we wait until they crow or lay an egg before we determine. Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated. Side note the three white chickens were labeled as Isa Brown pullets so I have no confidence in what breed the dark ones are. I believe the white chickens are Leghorns. The Golden Comets seem to be the only ones labeled correctly.

They aren't too far from wanting to jump the pullets. Will that convince your DH? I'm shocked these boys haven't been challenging each other since they were about 3 weeks old.

They aren't too far from wanting to jump the pullets. Will that convince your DH? I'm shocked these boys haven't been challenging each other since they were about 3 weeks old.

Thank you, I told him I am going to get the opinion of some experienced chicken owners...we have heard one crow but he only does it in the coop and as soon as I try to peak in to see which one it is he stops...the one in the third picture has definitely established himself as more dominant

Does the guy in the first picture always have his toe turned under like that?

He has since we got him at a day or two old, I tried correcting it with a cardboard chick shoe but he wouldn’t get up and eat with it on. It’s never caused issues with mobility so we just said she (seemingly now a he) could just be our crooked chick

Back
Top Bottom