Pullets or cockerels???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pnp4kidz, Feb 17, 2011.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok here are 2 1/2 week old chicks. The first are BCMs 4 then a mix BCM 1. Then some mixed ones that should lay green and pink eggs!
    Guesses girls vs boys?
    1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Still too young to tell, but I'd say 1, 5 and 6 COULD be cockerels [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Of the BCM's #2 is a male. #4 could go either way, but I'm leaning towards male. #1 and #3 look like pullets.

On the mixes, I'd have to wait a bit to tell accurately. But as a guess I'd say:

5 male
    6 male

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:x2

5. quinny1596

quinny1596 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    Connecticut
    number 1 and 3 are pullets. im not sure on number four but numbers 2,5, and 6 are roos

6. RedneckChikns

RedneckChikns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    At that young I can best guess all day long and still be thrown a curve! Wait another week or 2 [​IMG]

7. pnp4kidz

OK, Now we are almost two weeks later, and have chicks that are about 4 weeks old...
    guesses?
    the first one is a slam dunk... purty tho... (and the two white ones didn't make the first upload... )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this may be a dup... I'm having a hard time differentiating all of the BCMs this time! LOL!!

with my DD helping me, herding cats would be easier too, so she might have caught one twice... LOL...

[​IMG]

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I just raised two pullets, no boys, but I knew they were female from day one. Specially the black one, the splash one I have had me worried. But my best guess on your new photos...

After mr Obvious...

Girl
    Boy?
    Boy?
    Girl?
    Girl
    Girl
    Duplicate? Boy

The ? means not sure but leaning towards.

9. pnp4kidz

thanks!
    I need to find some way to 'mark' those silly black coppers! they all start looking alike at this juvenile scruffy age!
    I was laughing so hard taking the pics on some of them... man are they ugly!!! that one I think is a dup has that feather, growing upside down! LOL... we kept trying to 'straighten' it, but, alas, it's growing that way!
    I'm so glad some of the light ones are hens... the whole point is that they came from colorful eggs, so will lay pink, green or blue eggs... so if they are all roos... well.... um... not so great!
    we love the first one... I've promised my oldest daughter I won't send him to the freezer... hehe... he walks right over and sits on your hand... so sweet!
    (of course his 'stay' card can be taken back if he grows up and attacks me!!!)

10. pnp4kidz

Quote:Uh oh...!!! I think the dup is the same one as number 2, after Mr Obvious... and you thought his 'good side' looked girl... then the other looked boy... LOL... I love this guessing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by