Pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Noirchats, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Noirchats

Noirchats Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    Central Florida
    Ugh, I hope I have 5 ladies here, but I'm not so sure. Please tell me what you think about these little ones, thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    How old are they? [​IMG]

3. Noirchats

Dec 7, 2012
    Central Florida
    about 6-7 weeks give or take :)

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Could you get individual pictures of their heads??

5. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yes, that would really help.

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    It's hard to tell. I'm much better than I used to be, but 2 roosters slipped into my new layer flock, anyway. That's okay, we ate 'em.
    Since I butcher, I can tell you that the definitive feature of the rooster is his testicle sack, which is located just inside the vent, and by the tail. You can feel for that and know for sure. The other identifying feature is the saddle feathers, which start at the base of the tail feathers and frame them. Mature roosters have glossy, or, oily feathers, too.
    Different breeds are easier to tell apart from each other. When I had RIR's, the roosters grew prominent combs and waddles, and the pullets don't grow them until they are ready to lay, and the size difference IS noticable.
    I had a rosecomb RIR(I think) rooster this year, and he didn't really Look like a rooster until he was mature.
    Just in case it happens, it's okay to keep more than one rooster together, as LONG as they were raised together. Otherwise they will fight and injure each other, if not fight to the death.

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

If those red ones are red sex-links they are female just because of coloring... And I assume that the white one's a Delaware, looks like a pullet but really need to see its comb to be sure.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Where did you get them? I'm not seeing any obvious roosters but it's early yet. And yes, the red and white ones resemble female sex-links but only if these are from a hatchery order. If they are mixes, the color rule no longer applies.

9. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    The last picture, the red chick on the left standing on the Rock looks kinda like a cockerel.

10. Noirchats

Dec 7, 2012
    Central Florida
    ok i hope these pics are more helpful, I'm really curious about my delaware. 2 are sex links, 2 are supposed to be new hampshires and then the one delaware. i bought the delaware the new hampshires from a lady down the road who does all of the breeding herself, we sat there for a while and tried to pick the ones that had smaller combs than the others lol... and the sex links from my uncle who bought them from a feed store, i have no idea if they were sexed or not :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by